Crank Shit

The moon has fallen and the sun has now risen. The stars have been replaced by clouds and the darkness has turned to light blue. The tires of the truck move over the gravelled road. The only other thing in a mile radius is dead grass, hills, and dirt. Frypan is still driving with me in the passenger seat. Thomas had tried on multiple attempts to switch seats with me, however, failed each time. I would reply to his begging with a snarky comment, but now I am ignoring him completely.

"Come on, Fin. Please," Thomas tries once more.

"Give it up, mate. I don't think she's going to move," Newt chuckles.

"Damn right I'm not," I scoff.

"Please!" Thomas begs, moving forward in his seat so he is right up by my ear. Yelling in my ear. I reach back and wrack him on the back of the head before grabbing the collar of his shirt, pulling him forward. Our noses barely touching as I glare at him, green meeting brown.

"You keep up with this, Thomas, and I won't hesitate to make Frypan pull this truck to the side of the road and I will kick your ass out! You can walk to the Last City by yourself! Is that what you want?" I warn loudly. Thomas shakes his head quickly in response. To which I nod in content, and let go of the collar of his shirt, and turn back in my seat to face forward. The three boy's eyes widen from the stern tone of my voice.

"Woah," Newt mutters under his breath.

"Oh, look," I point to a sign. "Mandatory infection check. Two miles ahead," I read the sign aloud. "Oh no, I'm not prepared for a check-up," My eyes flicker to Fry with worry. Frypan does not bring any comfort to me though, instead, he laughs along with Newt and Thomas.

After a few more minutes of driving down the same gravel road, we pull up to an area surrounded by grassy hills. An old building with wired fences, old, rusty cars abandoned, and garbage littered everywhere. Frypan slows the truck down and moves forward carefully. A dark tunnel ahead of us, Fry slowly stops the truck with Thomas jumping out first. Then Newt, Fry, and myself follow suit. We walk forward, peering into the tunnel.

"You want us to go in there?" Newt questions. "I don't want to come across too negative, but if I was a crank, that's exactly where I'd be."

"Nah, if I was a crank, I'd find a beach and make margaritas," I shake my head at Newt. I earn a funny look from Newt and Frypan while Thomas ignores me, looking from the map in his hand to the tunnel in front of him. "You know, Crank shit and whatnot," I shrug.

"I don't think we have much of a choice."

"No, there is no way in hell that I am going in there." I wave my hands in the air before moving to sit on a rock near the edge of the gravel. "You guys have fun, I will be here. On this rock," I point to the rock enthusiastically.

"What happened to being a zit?" Thomas quirked a brow.

"Shut up," I huff, staring intensely at the boy. The three of them stared back at me patiently waiting, eyes full of amusement. I huff from annoyance after a moment and stand up. "Fine!"

"All right. I get shotgun," Newt turns to walk to the truck.

"What?! No fair!!" Thomas and I called at the same time, rushing after Newt, however, Newt gets there first and opens the passenger seat door. He hops in and smiles smugly at the two of us as he closes the door in our face. Frypan laughs as he hops into the driver's seat leading to Thomas and myself having no other choice but to sit in the back.

"I want this side!" Thomas calls, walking around the truck to the seat behind Fry.

"NO!" I whine before moving to sit in the seat behind Newt. "This is literally the worst seat," I continue to whine like a literal child. I am not ashamed of it though.