Trying to Save a Lizard

We walk at a fast pace rather than our jogging pace like before. Newt has gotten too weak, barely able to walk on his own. His arms are thrown over mine and Thomas' shoulders as we try to keep him upright. We follow Minho and Gally who are leading us to the tunnel we came in through. The tunnel that brings us back out of the city. The tunnels that bring us to our safety. 

The end feels so close but so far. 

My legs shake slightly with each step I take, I have trouble under the weight Newt is putting onto my shoulders. I try to persevere. 

"Come on, we're almost there," Thomas says. His words seem to be directed to Newt, however, he glances over at me, his eyes shining with a look of determination, and I know his words are for me. He must notice the way I am beginning to struggle. 

I must ignore the pain and the shakiness of my knees, I must remember that Newt is in way much more pain than I. 

Suddenly, the ground shakes beneath my feet and I think it is my legs given out from me finally, instead it is from an explosion at the walls of which we have a perfect view of from where we stand. The walls flare into a burst of orange fires, growing tall in the contrasting dark night. My eyes widen. 

"Oh, shit," I breathe out. 

We all stop walking, staring at the walls in shock. 

"We're supposed to take down W.C.K.D, not the whole damn city." Gally stares blankly at the wall, knowing that amongst that falling wall and fire is Lawrence, the man that saved his life. I take notice of the way his eyes shine against the light of the fire. I feel the need him hug and ask if he is okay, though I feel like I already know what his answer will be.  

My eyes are taken off Gally when Minho lifts Newt's arm off of my shoulders. "Hey-" 

"Gally, come on," Thomas says while he and Minho take off with Newt in their arms. Thomas gives me a look as if to say 'don't fight it.' I huff and am about to follow after them but realize Gally has yet to move from his spot, eyes still trained on the burning fire.

"Gally," I whisper. He probably was unable to hear me calling his name from the sirens of emergency and warning to the citizens of the city ringing in our ears. "Gally," I say a little louder, tugging on the sleeve of his jacket. This catches his attention. He looks down at me. 

There have been only a few occasions where I have seen Gally in a complete state of vulnerability. Those few times where I have, it has broken my heart. The way his eyes glisten with such sadness, the way his lips part with shock, the way the skin in between his brows wrinkle with uncertainty, the way he stands motionless with fear. The times I have seen him look like this is a short list, and each memory causing a shiver to descend down my spine; when I had woken up from being, when he had carried me through the forest after I had locked myself in the runner's hut, when Ben was banished, and when I ran into the maze with the other graders, breaking our promise and leaving him behind. 

And, now. 

I take his hand into mine, giving it a soft squeeze. I see his Adam's apple bounce while he gulps, trying to keep the tears at bay. I slowly and hesitantly pull on his hand, trying to pull him away from the sight of the explosion and towards where Minho, Thomas, and Newt had gone. 

He does not say anything but follows. We walk before picking up into a jogging pace, catching up with the three boys within a few seconds, though I do not let my hold of his hand loosen, and neither does he. 

----

"Tunnels are right up ahead," Gally tells us, leading us down a small alleyway in between the tall buildings. He slows his pace as we hear people shouting. "Shit," he takes his hand from mine, wrapping it around his gun. "Stay low, stay low," he looks at me as he rushes forward to another planter, full of beautiful bushes and plants. We all quickly follow him, Minho and Thomas placing Newt onto the ground, giving themselves a break. 

I peek my head around the corner, and Thomas follows suit, both of us curious as to what is going on. We see multiple patrol cars stopping in an organized row, closing off the street. They stand behind the cars and trucks, behind anything they can to keep them covered as their guns are held high, getting prepared. 

Prepared for what?-I am yanked back behind the concrete box by Thomas as a patrol car pulls up in front of us. 

"Really?" Gally gives me a stern look as I come back into his vision. I shrug with the most innocent smile I could muster up. Minho chuckles lightly, Newt as well, however his laugh is broken off into a cough. 

"Get ready!" We hear a voice shout. "All right! Move up! Move up!" I crawl around to sit in front of Gally so I can have a better view of what was going on. I look between the bushes and leaves, watching as the guards move around, guns held out high, pointed at something. But, what? I see nothing. "Front line down!" The guards in the front row all kneel, their guns cocking. 

"Damn it!" Gally groans, leaning back against the small concrete wall, and pulling me down with him. 

"Hey! I can't see now-"

"That's the point. You can't see them, they can't see you." I fold my arms across my chest, sitting on the cold and damp ground with much reluctance. 

I do not miss 'I-am-mean-and-no-fun' Gally. 

"What are they waiting for?" Minho voices my exact thoughts. 

"I don't know, but whatever it is, can it not wait? Do they not know we are trying to save a lizard," I whisper lowly to Gally. He smiles, shaking his head. 

I look over to see Thomas deep in thought, and it seems he is about to say something but a loud explosion goes off behind him. We all jump back, Gally pushing me behind him. We can hear shouting and yelling before we could see anyone. And, just as another explosion hits, the crowd becomes visible. 

"Get down!" Gally shouts once more, pushing me further behind him as a full-on war breaks out. 

"Stay down!" Thomas pushes Newt and Minho further behind the planter. 

"We don't need to be told to get down and stay down by you guys! We definitely don't want to be out there being shot at! Thank you very much!" I shout back to him. 

Thomas leans down against the ground, Minho following suit by pulling Newt with him. Gally shifts before dragging me down with him. I let out a yelp as my back is now flushed against the pavement. Gally gives a look as to say 'really?'

"What? The pavement is cold on my back. The coat doesn't keep you very warm. W.C.K.D must be on a budget," I shrug. He rolls his eyes in response. 

We hear an explosion erupt near and I lean further into Gally, keeping a tight grip on his jacket, afraid he will leave. The floor rumbles underneath us once more and pieces of debris fly past us. Gally covers his hand over my head, a few pieces of scraps merely missing our heads. 

"We gotta go! We gotta go!" Gally shouts over the loud screams and yells of people in pain. Thomas and Minho pick up Newt and begin to move low, hoping to not be noticed. Gally picks me off the ground and pushes me to be ahead of him and behind the other boys. I reach for my holster and grab my gun, keeping it held close to me.  

But, I freeze. 

This is the first time I actually look at the gun. I notice that it is the same W.C.K.D engraved handgun Gally had when... 

Fuck, not now. Do not think of that now. Why did I have to finally think about this now? 

It was not him, he was stung. It was W.C.K.D. 

W.C.K.D's gun. W.C.K.D's fault. 

I shut my eyes as I run, following after the sound of Minho and Thomas' boots hitting against the paved cobblestone sidewalks. 

A/N- 

Another update for tonight! It was much quicker writing this chapter than the last, funny enough. 

Anyway, hope you enjoyed!

Much love, 

- Alex <3