Trust

>>Sorin

I gasped for air as I shot my eyes open, immediately reaching for my neck that was now released of external pressure.
My windpipe felt free and I began to cough as I turned my head and looked at Kaan. He let me go at the last moment and then moved away into the darkness.

I tried to sit up and just then I heard footsteps coming down the dungeon.

Lazily, I looked at the person who approached us and while I thought it might be Enri again, I was heavily disappointed yet relieved at the same time. But on the contrary, I could never have imagined ‘him’ coming down.

Leonidas was the one who came into view.

“Wh-” I tried to speak but my voice was hoarse and I placed one of my hands on my neck again and coughed some more. The place stung but I had to get over it, I used my other hand for support to stand up while Leonidas stood outside the cell and assessed the situation.

It didn’t take him long to see the marks around my neck and my staggering legs and the free demon king.

“You!” He took his sword out and pointed it towards Kaan, “You’re dead!” He was about to strike him when my adrenaline rushed to my brain in the moment of fear and I got a wild surge of energy.

“No!!” I jumped in front of kaan, hugging him in the process, “You can’t!” I then turned around with my arms open in a defensive position, “Don’t hurt him.” I looked at my ‘little brother’ straight in the eyes, “You can’t…”

Leonidas was baffled, “What's wrong with you? Didn’t he try to kill you?!”

“Calm down,” I said, “He did attack me but he moved away on his own too.” I stood my ground but I could feel Kaan’s gaze on me, “If he really wanted to kill me, I’d be dead right now.”

“He attacked the king of an empire.” Leonidas argued.

“Let’s not forget that he’s also a king of an empire who was unjustly kept in the dungeon of ‘our’ palace by ‘our’ father.”

He paused, his eyebrows knitted together, “Kept here?” He was confused, “In the dungeon? As a prisoner?”

I nodded, “Ask Enri for details.” I coughed.

“Enri was the one who sent me here.” He replied.

Yeah, I guessed as much, “And what did he say to you?”

“He just said that you and the demon lord were in the dungeon and you were in danger.”

I was about to say something when I stopped and focused on his words. Something seemed a little odd there, “And that’s why you came here?” I looked at him with skeptical eyes, “For me?” He didn’t answer, “That’s not like you.” I said softly, “You coming to me because I’m in danger?”

He stayed silent for a few moments, “It’s very unlike you to put yourself in something like this too.” He sheathed his sword back and I brought my arms down, “So you’re telling the truth?” He looked at Kaan and noticed his condition and I guess he pretty much got his answer there.

“He looks a little better because I healed him a little.” I said.

“How long was he here?” Leonidas looked back at me.

I sighed, “Ask Enri for details, he was the one who fought him and brought him here.” My words shocked him but he was quick to regain his composure back.

“And you? What are you going to do?” He asked.

“I’m going to treat him further.” I turned to look at Kaan, “From today he’s a guest of our empire.” I paused for a moment, “People don’t know about his imprisonment here and I’d like to keep it a secret.” I looked down, “He has his dignity as a king.”