Chapter 14

They found her body!

.

.

.

It took me a while to get out of my frozen state and my knees buckled as I tried so hard to keep myself steady.

The boat reached the shoreline within a few minutes and the officers gathered around it waiting for them to pass the body on to their hands. I walked towards them as if I was in some kind of trance and was stopped by Richard who shook his head warning me not to look at the dead.

A shiver went down my spine as they passed the body bag to officers and they put it on the ground waiting for further instructions.

Richard pushed me away asking me to go back towards the house. I turned on my heels agreeing but stopped when I heard a scream and Maddy's mother ran towards us only to fall on the ground next to the body bag. Maddy walked in with the help of an officer and she passed me a look, silently asking me to accompany her.

I stood there not being able to decide anything. I couldn't ignore her and I couldn't see Megan's lifeless face too, but did I have a choice?

I took a deep breath in and held Maddy in my arms while she stood next to her mother who started to sob loudly. Logan nodded towards an officer and he bent down pulling the zipper so we could identify the body.

Megan's pale face came into view and my heart stopped beating.

Maddy!

All I could see was Maddy.

If it wasn't for Maddy who screamed when she saw Megan's face I could've been trapped in that trance not being able to break out on my own. I felt my body shivered, tears threatening to fall out from my eyes, but I held on blinking so fast because Maddy needed my support more than I needed, even though staying next to Megan drained all my strength away.

Finally that officer closed the bag and they took her body on a stretcher while Maddy and her mom followed the body like some lost puppies. I couldn't move and my hands felt cold. I felt sick to my core and the next second I threw up on the ground landing on my knees.

My whole body shook and sweat formed on my forehead. I put my hands on the ground to steady myself.

"Alex!" I heard Richard running towards me.

He helped me to get up and walked me towards the house, "if it wasn't for Logan's request I wouldn't have brought you here" he sounded worried, "you went through enough once, I didn't want you to go through it again" he said, surprising me.

"What?!" I was confused, "what do you mean by that?" I turned towards him.

His eyes widened and he took a sharp breath in. He took a step back letting go of my arm and he clenched his jaw looking away avoiding my eyes. I could tell from his expression that he slipped out something that he shouldn't have. But I couldn't let it go since it had something to do with me and to make it worse I couldn't remember seeing a dead body before Megan's.

I faced Richard standing in front of him and grabbed his arm making him look into my eyes.

"What do you-"