Chapter 16

I hung up the call quickly saying a quick goodbye to Justin and promised him that I would call later.

Richard's expression was unsettled, quickly moving between anger and frustration. His eyes snapped to mine when I turned to face him and once again his eyes filled with anger.

"I told you to stay away from that girl" he barked, grabbing my collar and pulling me towards him, "why didn't you just listen? Why are you this stubborn when I'm trying to save your ass" he spat out.

I watched him dumbfounded not knowing how to respond to that absurd question. What had happened within those few minutes for him to act this way towards me?

Richard watched me for a second and released my collar. Looked like he understood now that I had no idea what he was talking about. He sighed running a hand through his hair and looked me straight in the eye.

"Maddy is a suspect now" he blurted out and stopped me when I tried to talk, "Listen! Someone had reported that they heard Maddy talking about killing her own sister"

"Bu-"

"They also had told the police that you were there with her that day"

Shit! Mrs. Berkeley.

"So I guess you know what I'm talking about, don't you?"

I nodded my head confirming.

Richard gritted his teeth, "didn't you think it would be best to tell your own brother about it before someone else did?" He questioned, clearly angry about dragging myself into Maddy's mess when he tried so hard to keep me away from it.

"I thought she was just saying it out of anger. They had a fight that night and it upset Maddy so much. I didn't think it was important because it happened like a month ago" I argued back wanting to make him understand that it was nothing, "and I didn't remember it until you talked about it now" I shrugged.

Richard sighed again looking out at the distance. He was deep in thoughts for a few minutes and without a word he walked towards his car gesturing to me to follow him. He got inside and opened the door on the passenger's side silently asking me to get in. He waited until I settled in and started his car while I tried to figure out where we were going.

"We're going to the police station" He let me know, "Logan asked me to bring you there for questioning regarding that incident. So you're going to tell him the truth. Don't add or miss out on anything. Tell him exactly what happened" he advised me, "I won't be there but dad will"

"You told him?!"

"Of course! He'll act as your lawyer and it's better to have him there just in case"

"What about Maddy? Is she already there?"

"Are you worrying about her right now?" His tone was harsh, "look Alex! I don't know what you're thinking about, but you have to act wise in this case. If the autopsy report came as a murder Maddy would be in trouble. If you tell them the truth.... No! you HAVE to tell them the truth..." he looked at me for a second, "don't do anything stupid or don't try to save her. Who knows, if she tell them that she suspects you, you'll be in trouble too, considering the fact that Megan liked you and got herself killed because of it"

I gripped my seat. Richard surely knew how to make you feel guilty.

"So... I'm just saying to think about yourself. If not, think about Mom and Dad. What will happen to them if you go to jail because of something, that you didn't do"

"Richard!" I raised my voice to get his attention, "are you forgetting that you were there that night with another two police officers?" I quirked my eyebrow.