Epilogue

I stood in front of the grave and put a bouquet of flowers on it. My heart felt heavy and I sniffed when I remembered how dedicated he was to his job. He was young and didn't get the chance to see what his future had planned for him.

He died because of me and it was my chance to make up for him doing the best I could. He was the reason why I took my life seriously and studied hard to be someone worthy to take his place.

"Max!" I stared at the grave, "I was promoted to the Third grade and started working as a detective under Logan" I sighed, "it was not easy. And I had to work hard to get that promotion. I didn't think this would be that hard" I scoffed, "I never thought I would be a detective too" I said, "but I did that because of you. I now understand how hard you have to work to solve a case. I can't sleep peacefully until I catch a killer"

I stood there for a few minutes and walked away as the memories of the past incidents came back to my mind. I sighed and walked a few steps up, to visit the other grave that I have been visiting all this time.

Maddy's!

Max was an orphan and he had nobody to give him a proper burial. So that was why he was buried in our town's cemetery. Richard and others visit him from time to time and I always visited him whenever I visited Maddy.

I stopped in front of her grave and put the bouquet of Lily flowers on it. Her favourite! and I looked at the other grave that was next to her's. Megan!

Mrs. Brown shot her own daughter twice and that made Megan lose her life on the spot. She saved our lives but at the same time it broke her into pieces. Mrs. Brown hugged Megan until she took her last breath and cried mumbling sorry again and again until the police arrived.

She was not in a good condition and I didn't see her again until the day of Megan's burial. She was with the woman whom I recognised as her elder sister, and as I heard Mrs. Brown had moved in with her.

They dug up Maddy's grave again and did a second autopsy. It was natural to do that since we buried her, mistaken as Megan. Since it wasn't a suicide they had to do their investigation all over again.

As I suspected Megan had destroyed the Memory card that she kept inside the vase. So I gave them the real Memory card I had with me and it proved the unstable mentality Megan had. Logan said that he truly believed it was Maddy that killed those people. But when he heard what I said on that funeral day, it made him think all over again about the case and finally he came to a conclusion that Megan might not be dead. 

After they closed the case officially, we buried Maddy under her name and Megan was buried next to her as per Mrs. Brown's request. The 'Twins' grave' was famous in our town and it always reminded us of the tragedy that started and ended with them.

Justin woke up from his coma right after three weeks and had to go through physical therapies to recover from the injuries. After we graduated he studied law and started working as a lawyer in my father's company in the city. He married Vera and settled down in our town and now they were parents to a cute little boy.

As for Vera, she didn't study further but volunteered on so many things to help people out, and I knew she did that to heal herself. She stopped partying and devoted to her volunteer work and after having their child she spent more time with him saying 'if you need to change the world, start it with your own family' or in her case her child.

I didn't have the courage to start anew after Maddy and even though I wanted to, I liked to dedicate my time to cases other than fooling around with a girl.

Around the time I joined the police academy, Richard got transferred into another team and recently he got promoted and had his own team. The only trouble he faced was our mom. Her constant nagging to get married kept Richard far away from our town and some time later he found a girl that he liked.

I said goodbye to Maddy and walked down the road towards the entrance. I was so deep in my thoughts I almost bumped into the girl who stood in front of me. I stared at her face but I couldn't recognise her. She smiled a blush covering her pretty face. God! I hoped this wasn't a confession in the middle of the graveyard.

"Hi!" she said.

"Hello!" I replied back.

She blushed again and smiled, "I'm Anne" she said.

"Do I know you?" I didn't have the time to beat around the bush.

Her face fell but it brightened up again, "No, you don't know me" she giggled, "I have seen you around here whenever we came to visit our grand papa's grave" she said.

"So?" I quirked my eyebrow.

"Are you visiting your family?"

"Yes! my girlfriend" I felt my heart heavy.

"Oh! I'm sorry for your loss" she looked genuinely sad.

"It's okay" I shrugged, "I have to go" I tried to walk past her.

"Wait!" she shouted, "would you like to have a coffee with me?" she asked in a low voice.

I sighed, "I'm sorry. I can't" I walked away quickly.

"Wait!" she ran after me and I stopped, "if it is uncomfortable, I can ask my sister to come with us" she gestured towards someone behind me.

I turned around and froze on the spot. I quickly looked at her with wide eyes.

She giggled, "yes, we are twins. We do look alike"

I took a step back and shook my head, "no!" I mumbled.

She looked at me confused and tilted her head, "I'm sorry. What?"

I swallowed hard, "I said no!" I raised my voice, "I don't like twins. I hate them. I hate twins with all my heart..."