Chapter 36

I waited in front of the police station until they come out. But it had been a few minutes and still there was no sign of Justin.

I sighed out of boredom and got out of my car. I should have asked my father or Richard when they were going to release him.

I saw Justin's mom and dad a few minutes ago going inside the police station. And I wondered if it would be a good idea if I go in too.

"Alex"

I looked up and watched the guy who walked towards me curiously. I remembered seeing him inside that room with Max when they questioned me this morning.

"I've been seeing you a lot lately. Thought I should talk to you since you're Richard's brother" he smiled.

This guy looked friendly and he had a warm personality unlike Max who looked like a wounded dog who was ready to bite.

"You're...?"

"John! I'm John. I work with Richard" he put his hand out for a shake.

"Nice to meet you" I shook his hand, "what are you doing outside? I thought you're questioning Justin"

"We did" he sighed, "but we could tell that he was lying trying to protect his girlfriend" he said disappointed, "we need to find her before anyone else gets killed. Too many deaths and the suspect is gone. People are seeking justice and they put so much pressure on us"

He sighed and turned to leave.

"Are you waiting for Richard?"

"No, for Justin"

"Ah, okay!" he looked like he was debating on something, "come inside. you can meet him"

I straighten up. It was better than standing outside.

"Okay!" I said and followed him inside.

I looked around as he took me towards a familiar corridor that I had been. I didn't see any familiar faces when he took me there and to my surprise I didn't see my dad either.

"He is still inside that room." He pointed to a room on the left side, "he said we need to go after Maddy, not his girlfriend. But I hope you can convince him something"

With that he left me there and I walked inside without wasting any time.

"Alex!" Justin got up surprised, "what are you doing here?"

I closed the door and walked near him, "how are you doing? Are you okay? I heard that they are going to let you go. So I came to see you" I stood next to him looking around. Something was not right! I had that unsettling feeling crawling up in my mind. 

"Where is Maddy?"

I was surprised he asked that question, "why? Maybe at home?!"

"You don't know where she is right now?"

"No, Justin. Why?” Why did he want to know?

"Shit! When are they going to let me go? I need to keep an eye on her. Vera would be in danger if don't do that" Justin looked desperate and he walked back and forth like he was going crazy.

I grabbed his arm, "Why do you need to do that? If anything you should tell them where Vera is-"

"No!" he shouted, pushing me back, "she was set up. She didn't do any of those. I know her. She can't kill anybody" he breathed hard.

Instantly I was reminded of Maddy. Didn't I think of the same? Who would want to believe the one you loved was capable of something like that?

"Justin" I grabbed his shoulders, "I know how you feel. But Vera need to come here voluntarily and let them question her even if she didn't do anything"