Chapter 27

"Lyla" I greeted her since I didn't want to embarrass her in front of others.

"Can we talk?" she stole a glance at Logan and Richard, "it's about Maddy!" she whispered the last part. 

I quickly grabbed her arm and walked away before she could utter some nonsense in front of Richard. I let go of her when we reached the building and glared at her for approaching me like that.

"What do you want?" I hissed.

Lyla winced and her face fell, "I told you it's about Maddy" she whined.

"What is it now? Did you find another photo of her? Or something that you think would help you to keep me away from Maddy" I barked angrily.

Her eyes widened, "How did you know?" she asked, surprised.

"So was that what you were doing these past few days? Following Maddy and looking for evidence of any betrayals?" I mocked.

She pouted, "stop talking to me like I'm an idiot, Alex. Yes! I followed her and found something interesting" her eyes twinkled.

I searched her eyes for any lies but found nothing. I felt anxious and angry at the same time. Didn't she have anything better to do?

"What did you find this time?" I pretended I didn't care. But from inside I was dying to know what she knew.

Lyla giggled and walked near me putting her hands around my waist. I held her arms in shock. How could she do this when Maddy was a few feet away? She never approached me like this and she wasn't even bold enough to talk to me when Maddy was around. What did she find out?

"Lyla!" I grabbed her hands and pushed her away. Why did they all act the same?, "keep your hands to yourself. Just because you found something, it doesn't mean I'm going to leave Maddy" I spat angrily. Only if she knew how much of a risk I took to make sure Maddy was out of trouble, "and it definitely doesn't mean that I'm going to go out with you even if you're the last person on this earth" I took a step back keeping a good distance between us.

Lyla looked hurt and I didn't care.

"But you will when you see this" she took her phone out.

"Well, well. Look who's here"

We both jumped back surprised not expecting to see Maddy out here.

"Maddy, I can explain" I was desperate. Why did she always find me in situations like this? First it was Brittany and now Lyla.

"No need, Alex. I know you have nothing to do with this bitch"

"Hey! Watch your mouth" Lyla barked.

"You watch out for yourself, Lyla. Don't you know how to behave? My sister's body is just a few feet away and you're hitting on him at her funeral. Tsk! Tsk!" She clicked her tongue, "how low can you go dear Lyla?" she shook her head mockingly.

Lyla's face turned red and her nose flared. But she was quick to compose herself and looked at Maddy straight in the eye with a new found confidence. Well! That made me anxious.

"Look who's talking?" Lyla crossed her arms and gave Maddy a sly grin, "Do you think I have no idea who you really are?" she scoffed, "Craziness runs in the family"

"I'm not crazy-"

"And they think we wouldn't know what they are doing behind the doors or... in your case.." Lyla leaned in, "in the woods" a huge grin covered her face and at that moment she looked like a mad woman.

Maddy on the other hand stayed emotionless. The only thing I noticed was the look of surprise that flashed across her eyes for a second.

"Into the woods, into the woods near the lake. Follow the ducks, follow the ducks and you'll find....." she chuckled like a maniac and I took another step back. She really had gone crazy!