Chapter 22

I'm going to post three chapters from today onwards.

**************************

"So what do you know about Maddy and Megan?" Dr. Scott asked me.

"Other than they were twins I know they hated each other so much" I shrugged stating the obvious.

"Hmm" he hummed, "do you know the reason for their hatred?"

I scoffed, "that's what I'm dying to know" I said sarcastically.

Dr. Scott only smirked, "I can see that" he dismissed my rude tone and sat straight looking me straight in the eye, "what I'm going to tell you must not leave this room. I'm telling you this hoping that you would be able to convince Maddy to come to her therapies. I tried to talk to her mom but as you already know she's always too drunk to care about others" he sighed, "Maddy is in a vulnerable position since her twin is dead. So she must meet me as soon as possible" he insisted.

"I understand and I will bring her to meet you" I assured him.

"Okay!" He clasped his hands and moved to a more relaxing position, "so as you know Maddy and Megan were identical twins and like most of the twins they had a special bond in between them" He paused and I nodded my head in understanding, "but the bond they share could be a good one or a bad one depending on the fact that how dominant a twin is and her effect on the other one"

"I don't understand," I interrupted him, "what do you mean by a dominant twin?" I was confused.

"Hmm" he thought for a while, "let's explain it like this", he rubbed his hands, "in every twin set there is one who takes the lead, the dominant twin, and the one who follows him without a question, the submissive twin. Do you get it?" He questioned.

I nodded my head. I never thought there was such a thing. Huh! Who thought being a twin could be this complicated.

"So the dominant twin is easy to recognise because he's the one who always speaks for the other twin and makes decisions" he continued, "we recognise three categories of dominance between twins; physical, psychological and verbal. Physical dominance is common between boy twins as the bigger twin naturally becomes dominant. And verbal dominance depends on one's language development. But both of these are not as dangerous as psychological dominance. Because in psychological dominance, the dominant twin always tries to enforce opinions, mannerisms and decisions through manipulation and it mostly happens between girl twins" he explained.

Whoa, that was a lot to take in.

"But this is natural, isn't it? And twins don't always stay the same" I shrugged.

Dr. Scott nodded his head, "what you said was right. Twins don't stay as a dominant and submissive pair all throughout their lives. But there are some cases that twins carry that into their adulthood. Especially if psychological dominance continues, submissive twins will face psychological issues and may not have the psychological strength to overcome these problems" he went on.

"But how does this apply to Maddy and Megan? As far as I have seen they had no such thing between them" I said trying to figure out what direction he was heading.

"Hmm. That's true. It was because the submissive twin broke out from it"

Huh! What?! "I'm sorry, I didn't understand" I was confused.

he sighed, "who do you think the submissive twin was or the dominant one between Maddy and Megan?" he questioned.

I thought hard, "Maddy was the dominant one" I said confidently. She was the more popular and outgoing twin and Megan barely voiced her thoughts. It only made sense if Megan was the submissive twin.