Chapter 38

"Vera!" I whispered.

"Alex! Justin.... he.... he.." Vera's sobs made it hard to hear anything clearly. I walked down an empty corridor until she was calmed down to talk.

It took a good five minutes and the whole time she cried and cried until she was able to control herself.

"He's okay!" I tried to tell her that before but she was too busy crying.

"Oh! Thank God!" Now she was crying out of happiness.

"How did you know? Who told you?" I was sure there was nobody to tell her.

"I... I was talking with him when he got into that accident"

I stayed silent.

"Alex, he said the car's brake was not working. He couldn't stop the car. That bitch! She did this. She tried to kill Justin"  

"Who?" I was getting annoyed, "Maddy?!"

"Um... yeah, her! Who else?"

"But you are the murderer they are looking for. Are you sure you didn't do this?" I provoked her on purpose. She shouldn't blame everything on Maddy.

"ARE YOU CRAZY!" she yelled and I distanced the phone away from my ear, "why would I kill him? He is my boyfriend"

"Everyone who died was someone else's precious person too"

"I didn't kill them. She set me up"

"Why?"

"Because I recognised who she is"

"Ah ha.. I'm sure you did"

"You're an idiot, Alex! Are you really blind? Didn't you sort it out yet?"

"Sort out what?" I needed to talk to Maddy to sort everything out.

"Find her diaries-"

"You knew about them" I couldn't hide my surprise.

"Of course, I knew" I was sure she rolled her eyes for that, "just find them and read this year's diary. It would be better if you could start reading from the date you started going out with her"

"How do you know about all those things?" Did she read them?, "How do you know where I should begin to read?"

I heard her sigh, "just read as I said, Alex! and you will understand"

I stayed silent deep in thought. Why should I dedicate my time to read a diary when I should chase after Maddy?

"Alex, are you there?"

"Yes. I a-"

"Alex!" I hid the phone behind me, startled. I didn't expect someone to follow me here and I didn't hear anyone coming.

"Logan!"

Shit! Did he hear anything? I didn't want Vera to get caught because of me. When Justin woke up I didn't want to deliver that news and see his hatred towards me.

Logan narrowed his eyes and looked behind me. I hid it away from his eyes and he watched me confused until his eyes widened like he realised something. I started to sweat and I couldn't utter a word when he approached me. I stood frozen on the spot and Logan stood in front of me staring into my eyes. He cleared his throat and spoke up.

"I came to tell you that we found what caused the accident" his voice was unnecessarily loud. I gulped and stared at him while he continued, "someone had cut the brake line of his car and he couldn't stopped the vehicle because of it"

I nodded. Vera was correct after all.

"If.... just in case Vera tries to contact you, I need you to deliver her this message" Logan's eyes darted behind me and I gripped the phone tightly until my hand started to hurt, "tell her that I suspect about a switch. If I'm correct we buried the body under the wrong name and she has taken the place of the deceased one"