A Traitors Desire

Chabashira was talking as usual about the day's plans which was the tape viewing. But I had to ask something for once.

I raised my hand, "Yes. Ayanokouji, what is it?"

"I have a question about the storing of these tapes."

I got many weird looks from my classmates.

I continued, "After a tape has been watched, what happens to it?"

Chabashira stayed silent for a moment but then answered, "All of these videos are simply just a file that the school has been given, so we just play the file and once it's done we just go on to the next one. The files are kept there even after we've viewed them."

I wondered if that was something that the teachers were actually allowed to disclose or if it was Chabashira giving me special treatment. Whatever, I got my answer.

"Thank you, Sensei."

We were asked to make a line and walk to the gym. The order of these lines doesn't matter since our seats are assigned anyway so I chose to stand behind Ike. I tapped him on his shoulder.

"Ayanokouji, what's up?" Ike asked.

"I need a favour."

After telling Ike my request, we stayed silent as the class walked into the hall.

"Let's begin."

"Ugh. Well, that was unfortunate. Just a bit more, and we might've beaten Class B."

"Yeah."

Even with a substitute for Sudou, our opponents crushed us in the four way tug-of-war. As a result, we'd been knocked down to the bottom ranking. We tried to coordinate better as a class, but Hirata got hit the hardest.

He'd shouldered the burden of paying for the substitutes, which cost him a lot of points. We were in a desperate situation, and Sudou—our ace—was still absent.

"I guess that you had a little incident," Ryueen chuckled.

I heard Sudo mutter something harsh under his breath but I couldn't make out what it was. This was his lowest point, after all, anyone would feel uncomfortable when their biggest low points are shown for everyone to witness and judge.

"I don't think Sudou-kun's coming back."

"Hirata, are you going to pay for the next competition, too?"

"Yeah, I am. We need it," he replied.

Hirata had paid three times so far, twice for Sudou and once for Horikita, who'd also planned to participate in the four-way tug-of-war. That was no small expense. If he had to pay for the next competition, the total would be 500,000 points. No matter how many private points he said he had, that was still far too much.

"Well, Sudou aside, Horikita should be able to repay you," I said.

Fortunately, Horikita had obtained a ton of points from the last exam, much like Hirata.

 "Shouldn't you just let them bear the point burden this time? The participants, I mean."

"You might be right, but 100,000 points is a lot, and it's hard to save that many. Also, I'm the one who gave the go-ahead to use substitutes, so I can't exactly go asking for points," he replied.

"Don't you think the people who withdrew are the ones to blame?"

Besides, Sudou had punched Hirata. But Hirata didn't really dwell on that.