Oneshot: Shower Thoughts

Horikita POV:

I was on my daily run when I found Ayanokouji sitting on a bench.

He was wearing his usual winter trenchcoat. His brown hair looked as dull as ever, and his eyes stared off into the distance.

Does he sleep with his eyes open, or is he thinking about something?

"Ayanokouji, what are you doing?" I asked him as I stopped in front of him to catch my breath.

"Oh, Horikita. I have something important I need to ask you," Ayanokouji said while looking up at me.

I nodded.

In all honesty, I was waiting for his answer in complete nervousness. It's rare for him to be so blunt about such a thing.

Whatever it must be, it is sure to be important.

"What's your opinion on using fish as a system of value?" Ayanokouji said nonchalantly.

What?

What?

What?

"What?" I said my thoughts outloud.

"I know it's sudden, so I'll give you a moment to recollect your thoughts," Ayanokouji said.

Fish as a system of value? It seems like such an insanely stupid idea. How do fish work like that anyway?

"In all honesty, I'm very confused. My first thought was that what you said is stupid," I answered honestly.

Ayanokouji nodded, "Do you want to know what I'm thinking about?"

I wont lie, I was deeply curious.

I sat down next to him and waited for him to speak.

He began, "Okay, so look at it like this. If given a choice to save one human life and one fish life, most people would choose the person's life, correct?"

"Obviously."

"Right. But if given the choice between saving one person's life and saving every fish on the planet's life, everyone would pick the fish," He said calmly.

"Okay...?" I didn't know where he was going with this.

"Therefore, every individual human being has a certain amount of fish that their life is worth. Now to continue on with this, let's say that each fish was the same weight, species, and everything else. This also means that the price would be the same for all fish," Ayanokouji explained.

"So if you were able to find how much each fish is worth then convert it into money, you would find how much a person is worth," I finished off for him.

"Correct."

"Ayanokouji, what made you come to this conclusion?" I had to ask.

"I had sushi for dinner yesterday, then went into the shower and thought of it there," Ayanokouji shrugged.

Many people think of such random and weird things in the shower. It's due to the fact that a person has no direct train of thought since all they are doing is showering, this allows their thoughts to wander and be free.

"Ayanokouji, I have to say that although I am concerned, I can't necessarily find a way to refute your logic," I answered.

"Thank you. All I wanted was a second opinion," He nodded.

It seems that the random conversation we were having has concluded.

"Well then, I'll be going now," I told him.

"Alright. I'm starting to get cold as well."

Ayanokouji got up and began walking away in the opposite direction.

"Ayanokouji," I called out to him.

He slightly turned his head, "What?"

"Why were you doing this when it's this cold?" I couldn't understand why.

He turned around and looked me straight in the eye, "I think better in the cold."

I guess I got an answer.

"I'll be going now," He said and continued walking away again.

Out of every conversation I've had with him, this is by far one of the most memorable.

Kei POV:

"Kiyotaka, whatcha thinking about?" I asked him while taking a bite of the pizza he had ordered.

He was blankly staring at his pizza slice and hadn't said a word for over 2 minutes. Does he sleep with his eyes open?

"What do you think constitutes a pizza?" He asked while staring directly into my eyes.

Huh?

"I'm sorry, what did you say?" I asked.

"What are the key components that constitute a pizza?" He said once again.

"Uh... bread, sauce and cheese, I think," I blurted out.

"Okay, think about it like this. You can make pizzas out of multiple types of bread, but what about something like a biscuit? A cookie? If I put sauce and cheese on a biscuit, bake it, is it a pizza?"

This was a genuine thought from him... He wasn't joking at all.

"I guess so..." I said.

"Right. So doesn't that mean that the only key parts of a pizza are the sauce and the cheese? This means that anything could be a base and anything could turn into a pizza if you bake it," He said.

"I don't think that's how it works..." I couldn't contain my shock.

"Why not? Who said that pizza needs bread to constitute as a pizza?"

"Are you really trying to say that something like pizza is a social construct?" I said a little louder.

"Yes. That's exactly what I'm getting at. Pizza is an interchangeable dish that can be made with multiple bases. What's stopping me from getting some potato chips and making a pizza out of them?" He pointed out.

"Kiyotaka, did you smoke something before I got into this room?" I asked.

"What? No. It's illegal here anyway. Also, how would I get something like that anyway? These are my genuine thoughts," Kiyotaka defended his opinion.

This guy... he's really trying to say that pizza is nothing but something but a societal construct.

"Kiyotaka, want some advice about your food thoughts?" I told him calmly.

He turned almost as quickly as a rabbit, "Sure. What is it?"

"If you ever meet an Italian, never speak a word about what happened today," I told him.

Author's notes:

Random oneshot idea I thought of when watching random youtube videos.