Judge, Jury and Executioner

Complete distress. That's what he was. He was the personification of such a thing.

Free will is often a contested thing for humans. The argument against the concept of free will is that, how can a person really have the freedom to make their own choice if they aren't in control of everything? The things people like may be due to the environment they grew up in, and that environment wasn't controlled. That's just one of the examples that people often use to invalidate the concept.

For Kiriyama, he also has no free will. There's no amount of arguing, reasoning or whatever he can pull out of his head he can employ. The arguments he makes are, essentially, worthless.

People arguing for things even though it's pointless is something I've seen time and time again. This is nothing new to me, the only option one has is to watch.

The world doesn't move according to what an individual adores and detests. The reality is that an individual can really only leave such affairs to the people who can deal with them.

"The finale of the winter break is here. It takes off just after the last one, so enjoy."

This day, Christmas. Students who have their club activities have already left the school and are on their way back. Even if someone were to pass me by, it would probably be a teacher. No, even that should be seen as being very unlikely. In this school there were no lights on that could be considered lighting.

"It's cold. Are they not here yet?"

"It's already supposed to be the scheduled time though."

20 minutes have already passed since the promised meeting time. And there was still no sign of anyone in the vicinity.

"After calling us out they're late? They're quite bold."

"Perhaps, by being late they're scouting out our situation?"

"What's up with that? Isn't that being unfair? Just confirming Kiyotaka's identity like that and going back?"

"They'd probably like to do just that too, but that's probably impossible."

I think with a fair degree of certainty, they will come into contact with us. However, I'd like some spice here to ensure that 'fair degree' becomes truly certain. That is the presence of Karuizawa beside me. If I happened to show up alone in this unpopular location, it would allow them to ascertain that I am the cooperator. However, today is Christmas. Even though it's small, there is still the possibility that we are just an unrelated couple trying to get some alone time, just the two of us, and happened to come here together.

Even if they thought of hiding themselves and contacting me via phone through an unknown number, my phone's battery has already been run dry. In other words, if they wished to confirm my identity, they would need to directly call out to me themselves. As Karuizawa and I stood side by side underneath the freezing sky and patiently waited, a single student approached us.

I recalled that student.

"A rational move. However, what if you went there alone? Wouldn't they think that you were still just a random person? It's a less likely possibility, but it isn't impossible," Katsuragi surmised.

"It was far too late. It was indeed a possibility, but as I said, I wanted to get the chance of them appearing as close to guaranteed as possible," I replied.

"Hmm. I suppose so. Doing the best possible move to raise your chances, even if it isn't monumental, is in your nature," Katsuragi commented.

The moment our eyes met, I immediately understood that this was the person I spoke with on the phone. It was just unexpected.......is how I should put it. It was such a person. It wasn't like they called out to us yet. There was also the possibility that they just happened to be here on their own. Of course, that increasingly unlikely probability was immediately rejected.