Purposeless

I didn't do anything on the weekend, I simply read the book Horikita had given me. The book wasn't long in any way, but it was so dense even with its small number of pages, I read it over and over again constantly analysing it and figuring out the message. Books at times get a bad reputation for being only targeted to boring people, but they're so much more than that.

Books behave like they're testing the people who read them. It's something I've noticed every time I read a book that I enjoyed. You happen to come across a book that you never heard of nor have any interest in. You pick it up and the cover or the blurb doesn't interest you, but you decide to read it anyway. Maybe even the first 20 pages don't interest you, but then it's like a switch suddenly flipped in your brain.

What's written in the book may grip you in a way that you've never felt before and what's written in the text may remain in your heart for years to come. It sometimes feels like they're a life form, beyond this concoction of paper and ink. Some switches and buttons can only be pressed through reading the writing, and it can enthral you even in the darkness you think you're in.

I could think about books for hours, but I should probably go to school. I got ready at my normal pace since my phone was actually charged this time. As I walked to school I realised that the weather was growing colder at a steady pace. Maybe new gloves would be a good investment.

I walked into the class and waited until it was time to go to the auditorium. I suppose this will be the final tape until the Christmas break tapes.

"Everyone line up at the door," Chabashira stated.

Everyone walked over to the gym and got in their seats.

"I know I only told you all that this next video would be about the student known as Ryuuen's denial of dropping out of school, but how about a little context? I'm sure you're all curious about what caused him to be incapable of feeling fear. It's very short, so it won't take up much time."

Now, this was intriguing. Ryuuen was a delinquent, but that was all I had known about his past. While I doubt that I could gain much knowledge if this video was really short as the voice had said, but it's still better than nothing.

It was during elementary school that I realized I was abnormal. During an excursion, I found a huge snake near our camp. I recall my class being in an uproar from it.

"Now I'm curious. When exactly did you end up reminiscing on your past?" Ibuki was also intrigued by Ryuuen's past.

"I just thought about it in a dream. Nothing too weird, people think about the past in their dreams sometimes," Ryuuen shrugged.

I don't really remember my dreams, so I don't know if that's true or not.

"You've been like this since elementary school? I pity your family," Katsuragi told Ryuuen.

"Snakes aren't too uncommon to find depending on where the trip was," Ike pointed out.

People watching from faraway, people panicking nearby and people who weren't all that interested in it. There were various reactions and even adults who were supposed to be mature lost their calm and desperately called for help.

"It's a reactive animal. It's not weird since they also have children to deal with and they don't even know if the snake is venomous or not," Manabu criticised.

"I guess you're right, but it was odd to me that adults that were meant to be protecting the kids were acting similarly to them," Ryuuen sighed.

I grabbed a huge rock I found nearby and swung it at the head of the snake. I didn't even feel fear of being bitten. There was a scream, and the panic of the teachers followed.