Chapter 4 - Cheap women perfume

The heavy contact of the door with the wall wakes me from my reverie, bringing me back to my humble existence

      The heavy contact of the door with the wall wakes me from my reverie, bringing me back to my humble existence. I can't have a second of rest, because my brother is thinking of paying me unannounced visits, as if he didn't threaten me minutes ago to keep our relationship a secret. Now all of a sudden he wants to give us away from the first day?

      My eyes lock onto Hale, who is leaning against the door frame, cross-legged, wanting to imitate the actors in clichéd high school bad boy movies. This maneuver has no effect on me, firstly because, although I don't know what type of boy I'm into, I know for sure that Hale is not the one, and secondly, I have no intention of committing incest.

      As he is not at all used to my reactions and what I am capable of, he is taken aback by the mocking roll of my eyes. Fortunately, he doesn't pay much attention to this aspect, focusing her attention on my colleague's bed, which, from the arrangement of things and the choice of colors, inspires me as a girl with ready money, protected by daddy, who doesn't lack for anything. I hope I'm wrong, because otherwise my life for the next four years is going to be an ordeal.

      Hale shows no signs of wanting to leave the perimeter, on the contrary, he moves forward to better analyze the extremely pink area of the room. I don't understand why anyone would want to ruin the whole look of the room by dividing it so clearly into three parts. I curse myself for my lack of caution, as I should have thought to lock the door. To be honest, I didn't expect Hale to visit me.

      "You ended up into some kind of asylum. A unicorn might have thrown up on that bed."

      I turn around, going back to unpacking, because I've been a bundle of nerves these past few days, and my last wish is for Hale to see me affected, in any way, good or bad, by his presence. I shouldn't judge him, because I know him very little, but the fact that he didn't even try to get close to me, even though we could have shared the pain of having neglectful parents, says more about him than ten years of coexistence. I'm not even bothering to correct him about the blunder in the last sentence. Everyone knows that even in cartoons, unicorns are not only pink, but rather leave behind rainbows. What kind of cartoons did he watch as a child?

      "Why did you come here? Aren't you jeopardizing your social status by hanging out with your lowly sister?"

      His all-knowing grin intensifies my nervousness, which has gone from a five on a scale of one to ten to plus infinity. I take a deep breath and let it out gently, trying to figure out the real reason behind my sudden annoyance. My temperament is not choleric, not even extroverted, so I don't understand why a simple gesture from my brother can cause so much anger inside me. If I don't know, then who would?

      Hale examines the other available bed for a while, preferring not to touch the pink-tainted one. Apparently he's not a fan of the Barbie movies either. I don't think the girl sleeping on the bed with the blue sheets would be too happy to know that Hale, who must be over 154 pounds, has flopped onto her bed like a brick on a plank over a lake. What a weird image I have in my mind right now.