Chapter 5 - And how are they?

I sit cross-legged, bored, on the edge of the bed, head in hands, watching Nevin play Candy Crush

      I sit cross-legged, bored, on the edge of the bed, head in hands, watching Nevin play Candy Crush. I stopped at level one hundred when I got bored of waiting to play. When I didn't have lives I felt like playing, and when I did, I didn't even know I had the app anymore. The game ended up being permanently uninstalled from my phone and my heart, where it thankfully didn't occupy too much of a place.

      We have been waiting for the two girls to be ready for some time now. Harlyn kept circling the closet, flustered as if Hale were a star or a singer in a famous boy band. Raine is still struggling with the pile of shoes, and I, although I feel sorry for her, I'm not going to touch the blonde's "kids", because I don't want to end up hanging from the first floor with a shoe in my hand. I don't understand all the fuss over a mere roommate of Nevin's. Just because she likes the blonde doesn't mean she automatically has to know all the people in his life, especially not an unimportant roommate who Nevin made a bad first impression on anyway.

      "Done," Harlyn announced, slipping on her converse.

      So much wasted time...for some converse? That would be the first choice for me and also the only one. I don't have many pairs of shoes, I'm not a collector like Harlyn, and my mother never bothered to spend the money on me. She always preferred to add some fur coats to her infinite collection.

      Refreshed, Nevin instantly rose to his feet with a smooth, impressive movement. He opens the door, stepping back to let us in first, also bowing when it's my turn. What a gentleman! From the little time we spent together, he somewhat reminds me of the only friend I had besides Jia. Connor and I grew distant once Jia started occupying a big part of my time, something I now regret in hindsight.

      Nevin acts like a guide, leading us through the halls to the building intended for the boys. I don't notice any change in cleanliness, which is surprising but nice. If it were not known which of the buildings is for the female gender and which for the male gender, there would be no difference. The maids do their job, not like in the school where I spent eight years of my life, and every time I sat down at my designated desk I found at least three empty packages.

      Not only do the halls look identical and the rooms are laid out roughly the same, but there are both girls and boys alike. Compared to earlier when everything was shrouded in silence, now there is a total commotion and an incredible cheerfulness. I feel out of place, because my everyday mood is not happy at all, and seeing happy teenagers for no particular reason seems strange to me. It took me three months to unaccustom myself to this overall state of euphoria.

      "Before we see him, what can you tell us about Hale? I want to know if I need to prepare to catch Harlyn in case she passes out."

      Harlyn nudges Raine as subtly as she can. Nevin shows no emotion, which indicates to me that he is neither pleased nor bothered by Hale. He has more of a neutral attitude towards him, which seems completely normal to me since they barely met. I'm glad Nevin isn't the type to judge by appearances. But Raine's suggestion that Harlyn might faint at the sight of Hale, even though she seems to have feelings for Nevin, doesn't sit well with me. I'm not in the mood for any teenage drama in our room.