Chapter 11 - Washed up blond

How quickly time can pass sometimes! It's already the beginning of October and the weather is showing signs of getting worse, which is completely normal

      How quickly time can pass sometimes! It's already the beginning of October and the weather is showing signs of getting worse, which is completely normal. The changes in nature are much more evident now than they were at the beginning of the month, in the sense that the temperature does not exceed sixteen degrees, and the ground has been covered with a bushy blanket of colorful leaves that complete the autumn landscape. The trees began to look more and more like hands pointing to the sky, which brings us approximately every two days a torrential rain lasting several tens of minutes. I had some selfish reasons for wanting this month to end as quickly as possible, which was the renewal of my favorite series for a season each.

      The school hours went on normally. Lessons, tests, listening, homework, stress in normal and acceptable amounts. Nothing exciting, except that I've come to somewhat despise gym class, even though we waste most of the class waiting for the teacher to show up. I don't know exactly why I hate them, but I have a vague hunch that it's Zayden, who is always my partner on running, even when a few of his classmates are missing. One day another boy was my partner, the one in front of Zayden, because a girl from my class was absent, but the brunette switched with him only to be my partner. Neither of us had said a word to the other since that day in September when I slept in his bed, and he unfairly accused me, like it was my fault. I didn't even want us to interact anymore, for that matter, because he doesn't seem the least bit interested in me anyway. I think that until now he has only spoken to me for the sake of not being silent, which does not seem at all impossible to me. However, the fact that he always struggles to be my sports partner...

      On the other hand, Nevin is more and more present in my life, and Harlyn even calls him my twin. Over time the tension between them disappeared, but his feelings for her didn't, which no longer seem at all mutual, as we thought at first. I notice him looking at her with melancholy and pain, but when I try to tell him about her, he quickly changes the subject, and I avoid as much as possible to put him in a situation that will make him sad. Also, as much as I used to accidentally meet Zayden wherever I went, now I run into Hale everywhere I go. Sometimes I find him in the corridor where our room is, sometimes I catch him in the cafeteria sitting at the next table and watching us furtively, sometimes I see him almost every break near my closet. I have no idea if it has anything to do with Lance and Luke already being our official dinner partners or if it's just a coincidence. I still don't understand why they left their roommates to eat with us, not that they ate at the same times before...

      It's Sunday, and I've been forced by Harlyn to accompany her to a poetry reading at a weird cafe. Raine didn't even consider the invitation, refusing it immediately, which made me almost feel compelled to attend. At first, I was excited to go to such an event, but now, shivering in the cold in my short hoodie and torn jeans, I seem to regret it. I grimace as I step in the mud, jumping as far away from it as I can and cursing my days for choosing my favorite sneakers, which I'll have to struggle to clean all evening or risk putting them in a bag in the washer. I didn't like Harlyn's idea very much, that is until I found out that her intention was not to listen to poetry readings written by amateurs, but to see a boy named Michael. She thinks he's cute, and since I'm an excellent friend, I agreed to accompany her to Hell, sorry, coffee shop. The truth is that after two "pleases" I already felt forced, being aware that Harlyn would do anything to convince me.