Chapter 45 - I'm not better

"Why are you already making a list of things to pack? The trip is in three weeks

      "Why are you already making a list of things to pack? The trip is in three weeks."

      From what I know, the trip date is towards the end of April, and we're just at the beginning. Did I get it wrong?

      "I want to be organized," Luke explains. "I write it down in advance because I remember better that way. If I start packing a few days before, I'll definitely forget something."

      It makes sense, but at the same time, it seems a bit early to me. A week would have been more than enough.

      "Ugh!" Nevin exclaims, frustrated, burying his head in the physics book.

      "What's bothering you now?"

      Nevin pulls his head out of the book for a few seconds, scans the room from left to right, and then plunges his head back to where he retrieved it.

      "I'll probably fail physics and have to take the test for passing during summer," he says with muffled sounds. "And Harlyn," he adds, so quietly that I barely register the sound.

      I expected her to be the cause of his gloom, but not for him to admit it. Regarding subjects and his inability to learn, there's nothing new.

      "You owe me a story from Hale's day," I remind him, although I'm pretty sure he hasn't forgotten for a moment, but back then, when he promised me, he just wanted to get rid of me, and he was a bit too drunk to think too much.

       Nevin glances over the book, but when he sees that I'm looking directly at him, he retreats. He knows there's no turning back now. Enough time has passed, and from what I remember, he had promised to fill me in that same evening, which didn't happen.

      "Well..." he begins, but is interrupted by the door swinging open, and Lance and Zayden burst in like a whirlwind.

      "I don't know what got into me," Lance says.

      He throws himself on the bed, on the right side, but a grimace of pure beauty takes hold of his face, and he instantly flips to the other side.

      "What's wrong with you guys?" Luke asks, annoyed that he was disturbed from his reading.

      While I was focused on Nevin, Luke thought it was an opportunity to read. However, the rustling and buzzing caused by Lance and Zayden bothered him enough to spark his curiosity.

      "Lance is crying because his ear hurts."

      Oh, it just clicked for me now. I remember unintentionally reading Lance's message about scheduling Zayden's appointment, and he informed me about the reason for the appointment.

      "It's not true!" Lance defends himself, though he looks much more pained than Zayden, who is just confused.

      I look at their earrings. Although I don't quite reach the conclusion, I can easily deduce that Lance got pierced on the right side, as it hurts him to lie on that side. Zayden is turned with his left ear facing us, as he unzips his hoodie and folds it to put it back in the closet, revealing a short-sleeved shirt. It seems they got pierced on different sides, but I don't see why that would be the reason one feels pain and the other doesn't. I guess Zayden is much tougher and doesn't show pain, while I already knew Lance is a bit of a drama queen.