Chapter 16 - Halloween

"That moment when you realize how well the clothes fit your girlfriend, but you look like you're homeless," I say, stretching my legs on the table, making myself comfortable

      Raine approves, also watching Harlyn, who is zipping up her light green dress, much brighter than her phone case. I don't even want to think how much a dress like that cost! She fits the gold bracelet on her hand and the rings on her finger, staring at them obsessively. If she wore a trash bag, she'd still look better than me or Raine, or both of us combined. Harlyn has that goddess beauty, genuine yet innocent at the same time, that makes anything she puts on look fantastic. Not to mention her slim but curvy body. She has exactly that hourglass figure that all girls covet. Raine and I struggle daily not to lose our confidence completely when we're around the blonde.

      "Not true. I'm jealous of the way a hoodie fits you. Makes me look like a pepper!" she affirms, but without any foundation, for it does not seem to us that she would not fit any article of clothing. "I look three times more fan than what I really look like underneath."

      Raine bursts out laughing, getting a disapproving look from her friend, who tries to take selfies that show as much of her body as possible. Fail. I don't offer to take her picture myself, and she's too proud to ask. The last time I photographed her she was never satisfied, constantly finding a reason to reject them, these reasons ranging from bad lighting to the fact that I didn't get the good side of her face, whatever that meant, or that you can't see all her body or the photo is not clear enough...

      "You'd better dress up as Harley Quinn than a wandless wizard."

      I wait for the blonde's angry reaction, but she just closes her eyes, inhaling and exhaling repeatedly, then turns to Raine and almost screams:

      "I'm a fairy! I don't look like a magician at all!"

      Indeed, I would never have thought of this resemblance, but I understand that Raine wants to tease her. Her blonde hair is curled and left loose, containing as much glitter as she could put on herself, and her shoes I don't even know what color they are, because looking at them from one angle they look pink, from another they look green. Honestly, I only know the basic colors, those of the rainbow and black and white, the rest of the names are completely foreign to me.

      "Can you help me, Aloy?" she asks me, struggling with the glitter.

      I nod, sitting on the edge of the bed. She sits on the floor in front of me, waiting for me to pour the glitter on her head. I stick it on as best I can, then she turns to me to do her makeup. If I've learned anything from my time with her, it's definitely the art of "painting" the face. Even observing is a learning technique, apparently, though I couldn't imagine getting decent without practice. I carefully unlock my phone and open the picture from which I should be inspired for her makeup, starting with mascara, then some pink eyeshadow, eyeliner, pink lipstick and then I make some glitter lines on both sides of the face, as shown in the image. It takes me some time, but the result is satisfying for me. I wonder where she got such a big amount of glitter. I don't want to know how much she paid for her entire Halloween costume. Harlyn stands up, and when she looks at herself in the mirror, she exclaims with happiness, then she takes me in her arms.