Chapter 35 - Back to school

"I still haven't forgiven you for not answering me back then," Nevin says, feigning resentment

      I close the closet, wearing a bored expression, knowing how much the blond has been pestering me about "why I avoided" the question in the Truth or Dare game. Of course, he's right; I lied when I said I don't like any of the boys, but I'm not in a position to reveal this fact to him, let alone to my roommates or the gossipmonger Lance. I don't say this out of malice; Lance is a good friend, but I avoid his big mouth as much as possible.

      "It's been over a week, Nevin," I say, heading towards the festivities hall, with the blond running to keep up. "Get over it!"

      I almost laugh at Nevin's dejected expression, but I hold back because he has gone a bit too far. If I can control myself and manage not to blurt out Harlyn's name, then maybe he can also sense when a topic becomes oversaturated.

      On our way through the hallways, I spot some announcements regarding upcoming events, such as today's celebration of Sherlock Holmes' day, and on this occasion, the theater group has organized a new sketch with the same title. It seems that on January 9th, the robotics club will use the "nerd's day" to showcase their innovations and attract new members. If we can skip classes, Nevin and I will be present, although we have no intention of joining. Nevertheless, at events like these, Nevin participates, asking questions, being the complete opposite of his usual self during classes. He is only interested in things that have absolutely nothing to do with school.

      "Aren't you waiting for us as well?" Harlyn pops up between Nevin and me, with her hands on each of our shoulders.

      Nevin swallows imperceptibly, looking at the portion where the blonde's fingers rest on his t-shirt as if it were some divine sign. I roll my eyes and then see Zayden propped up against the door of the room, laughing at my annoyance. Harlyn tenses up slightly as we pass by him, and the two exchange intense looks. They probably haven't discussed those messages during the holiday, one of which got lost at Nevin, but fortunately, I managed to resolve it in a timely manner, avoiding it from escalating. Now it's just between the two of them.

      In this era of the internet, conflicts can arise very easily and sometimes for even trivial reasons. But they can also be resolved and forgotten quickly, as if they never happened. On the other hand, without communication, it's impossible to reach a consensus, like in their case. Harlyn doesn't seem to be aware of the reason behind Zayden going to the boarding school, which is the cause of the rift between them. Neither is willing to fill that gap with compromises and understanding but with arguments that only make it deeper. If I weren't already somewhat in the middle of this problem, I'd try to mend what I think is within my power. However, it's challenging to take anyone's side in this conflict.

      Nevin and I resist Harlyn and Maxine's desire to sit in the front rows, which is why we part ways. They take seats one row closer to the stage than we do, in the middle, so that we can communicate if we want. I have a feeling we'll make our exit soon. Fortunately, Harlyn has Maxine, so I don't have to tolerate more than I deem necessary, and I can leave whenever I see fit. If it weren't for her, I would probably have vehemently refused not to have adjacent seats, ensuring that we wouldn't leave her alone.