Chapter 8 - You're together anyway

Zayden takes another cigarette out of the pack, as if he hasn't just smoked one already

      Zayden takes another cigarette out of the pack, as if he hasn't just smoked one already. Does he want to destroy his lungs and doesn't know how? Not that it's my problem or my health, it's strictly his business. I've never had a bad or separate opinion about smokers, because everyone has the right to do what they want, especially since there are some pills that are more dangerous than smoking. However, I know the harmful effect of smoking on the lungs, and I do not encourage anyone to start smoking or continue, but I do not judge a person just because they smoke. Those who point the finger at smokers should be aware that we are different, that we all have our good and bad sides, and we must accept ourselves as we are. The most important thing is that our perspectives are completely distinct, so what some consider wrong, others say is right.

      "Wasn't one enough?" laughs Hale, holding a smile that I can only describe as mischievous.

      Zayden stuffs his pack into one of his jeans' pockets, holding the cigarette between his lips, reminding me that I've never been this close to a smoker, except for that one time when Jia decided to try, but after two puffs she threw it straight into the basket, coughing terribly. Unlike other people, I don't have problems with their smoke and smell, I can accept them, but that doesn't mean I accept being a passive smoker.

      "I have no reason to smoke less," Zayden shrugs, glaring defiantly at my brother.

      His tone indicates boredom. If the same words had come out of Hale's mouth, it would have given me the impression that he was arrogant, but the brunette doesn't even seem to try to be. Also, why does he need a reason not to hurt himself? I will probably never understand.

      "What do you propose?" Luke asked, repeatedly snapping his fingers together in controlled excitement.

      "I'm starving," says Nevin, caressing his belly and sticking out his bottom lip in my direction, drawing a sad puppy image to comfort me.

      It makes me laugh to think that Nevin ate quite a lot earlier and he's still hungry. With how thin he is, I would never have thought that he would have such an appetite, and such a good metabolism. What I wouldn't give to be able to eat so much and not gain weight! On the other hand, it would be a waste of money and I can't afford to use them more than necessary. But food is a must, even in the city, even though the price is colossal compared to the canteen.

      On the way to the mall I was bombarded with questions about Harlyn, because Lance wants to give her a present in the future if it turns out she likes him too. I didn't give him many details, because I don't know her very well yet either. I tried to be pragmatic, diplomatic, not letting him notice the fact that I was trying to get rid of him, because my blond friend felt extremely uncomfortable and I would rather help him, because he also comforted me when I was not exactly in a happy state. Nevin remained silent during the discussion, although I am convinced that he knows my roommate better and could have helped him better. He preferred to keep his knowledge only to himself.