Chapter 44

The group walked for a few minutes, until they reached the DOA Recording Studios. If she hadn't seen the place earlier on the trip, Thea would have been disappointed with what she saw. DOA Recording Studios sat on Valencia Boulevard, the sign in which stood out against the black marble. On the door read a sign saying: NO SOLICITORS. NO LOITERING. NO LIVING. Inside the lobby, the lights were on and there were several people inside, while a man with sunglasses sat behind the security desk at the front.

Percy looked back at the demigods. "Okay. Remember the plan."

"The plan," Grover said. "Yeah. I love the plan."

"Sure-great." Annabeth gulped.

Thea crossed her arms over her chest and raised her brow at the group, who were looking at her expectedly. "It's a shit plan."

The group walked towards the security guard's desk, considering it was raised on a podium, they had to look up at him. he was tall and elegant, with chocolate colored skin and bleach blonde hair shaved military style. He wore tortoiseshell shades and a silk Italian suit that matched his hair. A black rose was pinned to the silver name tag.

"Your name is Chiron?" Percy asked dumbly.

"What a precious young lad." He said with a strange accent. Thea's ears perked up because it sounded British, but it also seemed that he learned English as a second language. "Tell me, mate, do I look like a centaur?"

"N-no." Percy stuttered unexpectedly.

"Sir." The man added.

"Sir." The son of Poseidon repeated. Thea had to look away to conceal her chuckles.

The man held onto his name tag. "Can you read this, mate? It says Charon. Say it with me, Cha-ron."

"Charon."

"Amazing. Now, Mr.Charon."

"Mr.Charon." At that point, Thea was in tears, trying so hard to conceal her laughter.

"You can see how she's James Potter's kid." Marlene said looking amazed at the young girl.

Sirius and Remus, along with James's parents were nodding along, fond smiles on their faces. Meanwhile, James had a smug expression on his face.

"Well done." Charon said in mock pride as he sat back in his chair. "I hate being confused with that old horseman. And now, how may I help you little dead ones?"

"We want to go to the Underworld." Percy said bluntly, regaining some of his confidence.

Charon's mouth twitched. "Well, that's refreshing."

"It is?" Annabeth asked.

"Straightforward and honest. No screaming. No 'There must be a mistake, Mr. Charon.'" He looked us over. "How did you die, then?"

Percy nudged Grover. "Oh," he said. "Um ... drowned ... in the bathtub."

"All four of you?" Charon asked. They nodded. "Big bathtub." Charon looked mildly impressed.

"I don't suppose you have coins for passage. Normally, with adults, you see, I could charge your American Express, or add the ferry price to your last cable bill. But with children ... alas, you never die prepared. Suppose you'll have to take a seat for a few centuries."

"Oh, but we have coins." Percy set three golden drachmas on the counter, part of the stash he'd found in Crusty's office desk.

"Well, now ..." Charon moistened his lips. "Real drachmas. Real golden drachmas. I haven't seen these in ..."