Chapter 122

The group had arrived to Long Island slightly after Clarisse, which was all thanks to the centaurs' travel powers. Percy rode on Chiron's back, but they didn't talk much. The awkward air between the two lingered, and it was understandable. On one hand, Percy knew that it had been very difficult for Chiron to open up about his relationship with Kronos, and on the other hand, Percy desperately wanted answers.

When they got to camp, the centaurs were anxious to meet Dionysus. They'd heard he threw some really wild parties, but they were disappointed. The wine god was in no mood to celebrate as the whole camp gathered at the top of Half-Blood Hill.

"Seeing how chaotic these filthy half-breeds are, it is no wonder they want to attend one of the parties hosted by a deity!" Walburga said angrily.

"I swear woman..." Orion turned to her angrily, daring her to talk again.

The camp had been through a hard two weeks. The arts and crafts cabin had burned to the ground from an attack by a Draco Aionius. The Big House's rooms were overflowing with wounded. The kids in the Apollo cabin, who were the best healers, had been working overtime performing first aid. Everybody looked weary and battered as the returned camp members crowded around Thalia's tree.

The moment Clarisse draped the Golden Fleece over the lowest bough, the moonlight seemed to brighten, turning from gray to liquid silver. A cool breeze rustled in the branches and rippled through the grass, all the way into the valley. Everything came into sharper focus-the glow of the fireflies down in the woods, the smell of the strawberry fields, the sound of the waves on the beach.

Pyro, Thea's phoenix, flew from somewhere inside camp and landed on one of the of the top branches of Thalia's tree. Chiron and Thea both held their breaths, knowing exactly what it would mean if Pyro decided to stay. Shocking everyone, Pyro opened its beak and let out the most beautiful song anyone had ever heard. The song seemed to make the moonlight shine brighter and added more life to the forest.

"This is absolutely amazing!"

"I find it very beautiful the way the worlds mix with Thea," Poppy said with a smile, earning a nod from her friend beside her.

Gradually, the needles on the pine tree started turning from brown to green. Percy, who had been standing beside Thea, heard her letting out a breath of relief. From the corner of his eye, he saw her body relax slightly. He placed a comforting hand on her shoulder and smiled knowingly at her.

Later that night, as the campers were roasting s'mores and listening to the Stoll brothers telling them a ghost story about an evil king who was eaten alive by demonic breakfast pastries, Clarisse shoved Percy from behind and whispered in his ear, "Just because you were cool one time, Jackson, don't think you're off the hook with Ares. I'm still waiting for the right opportunity to pulverize you." Percy gave her a grudging smile. "What?" she demanded.

"Nothing," Percy said with a slight shrug. "Just good to be home."

"This is a very unlikely friendship," Sirius said, a slight smile on his face.

"What are you smiling about?" Remus inquired, looking slightly baffled. "It's like saying James and your cousin are friends."

Sirius followed Remus' eyes and they landed on his cousin Bellatrix. Bellatrix watched, seemingly bored, toying with her wand carelessly. As if sensing the eyes on her, Bellatrix's head snapped in their direction. The cousins held each other's eyes until Bellatrix's face split into a manic grin, and her eyes moved to Remus. Alarmed, Sirius adjusted his seat in a protective way in front of his friend.