12. Memories and dreams

Furlan left the house, leaving his two friends at home. He felt that he just needed to be alone, so he could try to think clearly and hopefully, the negative thoughts would disappear eventually, but all he could think about was her. How precious she was, how pure and innocent, and yet so stubborn to hold onto him despite who he was. He felt like he was no man for her, what could he even offer her anyways? Nothing but a miserable life in the underground. He had absolutely nothing. Nothing but a kind heart. Of course, that was more than enough for her, but he just couldn't see it. Day by day, his feelings were growing bigger inside him. At first, he hesitated but he was starting to realise that he had fallen for her and, every day was more difficult to assimilate that they could never be anything. At some point, she was supposed to leave his house and make her own life, taking her own decisions. Eventually, she would even forget about him and hopefully, that would be the beginning of a happy life for her. That was all he wanted, her happiness and well-being. Levi, once again was right when he advised him to not get too attached to the woman, but how could he have avoided it? He was so immersed in his own thoughts that he couldn't notice that the person that lived in his mind was running after him on the filthy streets in order to keep him company after that sour conversation.

"Hey, I finally caught up with you. You are fast!" She said approaching him, still catching her breath after the run. "You seemed upset back then. Would you like to talk about it?"

"I didn't know you were coming after me. I hope I didn't make you run. How is your ankle? I guess it is better if you manage to come here that quick." He replied, avoiding the question.

"Yeah, I guess it is better now. That is because you took care of me." Ella smiled, hoping to cause the same reaction on his face. His serious face drew a shy smile on his lips, her smile was contagious.

 "So, where are you going?" He didn't seem too sure about his answer.

"Nowhere. I just wanted to get some fresh air, if you can call it that...Anyway, now that you are here, where do you think we should go?" He replied back a bit more enthusiastically. Ella took her fingers to her chin in a thoughtful way.

"Umm... I know a place I used to like when I was younger. I believe it is not that far from here." She added.

"Let's go then!"

Not too long later, they arrived at a small plaza. The streets were absolutely empty, perhaps because of the time or because of the area where they were. The plaza was surrounded by some nice but worn-out houses that formed a rectangular shape. The two of them walked into the plaza and took a sit on an old bench. Ella explained to Furlan that years ago that plaza used to host the most famous market in the Underground, of course well before the decadence to which the city succumbed. Ella's grandfather used to own a market stall in the same plaza, he was a well-known merchant back then. That was why Ella's family was lucky enough to avoid the precarious conditions that other families had to live with. The houses surrounding used to belong to some of the merchants and the wealthier families from the underground, but since everything started to fall apart and the big mafia groups expanded their businesses, the people who once lived there were forced to look for another place to live. That is why in the last decades the area only attracted squatters and the worst among the Underground people, which explained the space's bad conditions.

Furlan listened closely to Ella's words. He heard previously about the area and what it was famous for in the present days, but he would have never imagined that the same place where he was sitting now was once a nice place where people would gather together in a market. He also learnt something new about Ella's past and her family. He already knew that they both were raised in different conditions. It was true that in the Underground there was no such thing as social classes, but some people had easier lives than others, and Ella before what happened to her was one of those people.

"I know it is not one of the nicest places to go but it brings me memories from my childhood. My father used to bring me here and always told me stories about this place and the people who used to live in the houses around it. I guess I wanted you to know a bit more of my past."

"Well, it isn't as bad as they say. Besides, I am happy you brought me to your special place. I feel better now. Thank you, Ella." He replied back, kindly. They both remained silent. Ella was satisfied after managing to make him feel better. Then she started looking around, evoking memories from her past. Furlan observed her quietly and a warm smile appeared on his face without him realising.

"I would have loved to see this place the way my grandfather described it. It is hard to believe it wasn't that long ago and, now..." She said with a nostalgic tone. "I wish people here had a chance to get out." Furlan looked at her. His amber eyes were bright and full of surprise.

"And, go where exactly?" He asked with some sarcasm she never heard before from him. Ella hesitated for a moment as if the words her mouth was about to say were a curse.

"Go outside. Have a normal life above and being able to enjoy the sunlight." That is what I always dreamt of. My grandfather travelled up there when his business thrived, as even people from above would buy his products. He told me stories about the stars and the rain, and I just would like to see it with my own eyes." She added shyly. Furlan placed his hand on her shoulder and pulled her towards him. She felt like she said something stupid but yet Furlan seemed understanding.

"You know what?" He asked her softly. "I would also love to see that."