35. Nina

The days passed by and both women became as close as they once were so many years ago. Ella at first tried to help Nina as much but then, the tasks started to become harder for her. They used to spend long times outside after lunch, enjoying the breeze and the faint sun rays. They talked about their past and reminisced about those times when everything seemed easy.

One of those days, Ella was reading outside in a chair that Nina place under a tree. That was Ella's favourite spot outside her new house. Nina joined her with some iced tea, and Ella closed the book to give start a conversation with her friend.

"So, are you not going to tell me how you ended up working for the Survey Corps?" Ella insisted to her friend. It had only been a few days since their reunion, but they had so many things to talk about. She couldn't remember the last time she was this excited.

"I told you is a long story." Nina answered. Ella frowned with disappointment at her answer, so Nina smiled at her friend and continued with the story. 

"However, we have plenty of time, don't we? It happened after my mother died. I was just a scared little kid wandering around. I didn't want to go back home cause her body was still there. That is how I ended up working in a dirty tavern. The owner had found me and tricked me to work for him in exchange for food and shelter, but that was hell. Luckily, a group of soldiers visited the tavern, and one of them realised my situation." She explained emotionally. 

"That soldier adopted me and took me to the surface as his own. He was part of the Corps so during their missions he couldn't spend a lot of time with me, but he did everything he could for me. He wanted me to have a good life, he loved me as if I was his own." She continued with a sad smile. A tear dropped from her eye. 

"I wanted to be like him, you know? I wanted to join the Survey Corps, but he did not want me to as it is a dangerous job instead, I was taught medicine and care, so I could support injured soldiers. It was probably the best decision I ever took."

"I bet you were very grateful for his help. Where is he now?"

"In the capital's graveyard. He died some time ago on the battlefield... The Survey Corps are my new family now."

"I am very sorry about all this Nina. But I also must say that I am so happy that you had a second chance. I really thought you were dead when I stopped seeing you..." Ella admitted.

"Anyways...won't you tell me your story?" Nina asked curiously. "I can see your ring; I assume that is the baby's father." She insisted. Even when they were kids, Nina always had been very curious and, on certain occasions that could come as insolent, but Ella did not care about it. Instead, she rather explained to her friend what happened to her during all that time.

"Yes, it is the baby's father. We could say that it also happened after my mother died." She started. She told the whole story to Nina. How she saw her mother being killed, how she met Furlan after being rescued from her pursuers, how he helped her out, how they fell in love, and her life underground with the trio, she didn't miss a single detail. Her emotion couldn't stop her from crying, Nina was so moved by her love story that she ended up crying too.

"It was the kindest person I have ever met. He had the biggest heart and the sweetest smile. Unfortunately, he and Isabel also died on the battlefield. We were meant to get married as soon as they returned, but only Levi came back... The only things I have from him are memories and a ripped cloak." She said with sorrow.

"But soon I will have our baby too." She announced happily caressing her belly. "I got pregnant just before he left, he never knew I was expecting. Only Levi knew after his return." Suddenly a cramp made her drop her teacup because of the pain.

"Ella?!" Nina yelled in distress. "Are you ok? Come on, let's take you to bed."

The blonde woman helped Ella to get up and walk towards her room to rest. She was already due, and the baby could come any day, anytime. She put Ella in bed and brought some wet cloths that she placed on her forehead to keep her cool. When the pain had vanished, she left Ella on her own, letting her rest for the day. Before dawn, Ella screamed.

"Nina!" She yelled from the bottom of her lungs. "Nina, my water broke!" She screamed as loud as possible. She tried standing up, but she was so weak and drowsy with this new whole situation. Luckily, Nina appeared in her room in no time with plenty of supplies. Nina found Ella laying in bed on top of wet sheets. Contractions were hitting hard. Her screams reached out to the surrounding neighbours and some of the old women from the village decided to help.

Ella was overwhelmed. She had never experienced something as such. She was trying to control her breathing like one of the women told her, but it was just too difficult. Desperately, she grabbed Nina by her sleeve and looked at her intensely.

"Call him." Was all she said with her remaining strength, but Nina knew who she meant. Without wasting no time, Nina asked a nosy young boy to send the message to Levi in the Survey Corps. Luckily, he would arrive fast. Although everything was happening very fast, for Ella those instances seemed like hours.

"Push, sweetheart. Push." A voice she could not recognize told her. 

"There it comes!" Another woman said grabbing the head of the newborn baby. 

"Push it one more time, Ella. You can do it!" 

After a final effort accompanied by a scream, the baby's body came completely out. An energic whine came out of the baby's lungs, a sign that the baby was healthy.

"It is a boy. It is a baby boy!" An old woman exclaimed happily offering the baby to his mother.

Ella took him carefully between her arms, still exhausted after all the effort. She wiped the blood with a clean cloth and place him on her chest. She could finally rest.

Mother and child were left in her room with some privacy. Nina ensured they did not need anything else before leaving the room. She found Levi entering the house and being greeted by some of the women.

"Congratulation, young man. You are the father of a healthy boy." One of them had said. Levi looked at them indifferently, walking away from them, looking for Ella.

"Thank you ladies for your help tonight." Nina said inviting the women to leave the house. Levi approached her abruptly.

"Where is she?"

Word count: 1183

SHE IS A MOTHER. I REPEAT SHE IS A MOTHER NOW!!

How should we name the baby boy? I am sure we all agree on the name tbh

Ella's life is going to change a lot now, don't you think?