17. Worried

The next day, Levi left early without telling anyone. Ella knew where he was off to, but Furlan just couldn't believe he left on his own to do the job that they both were meant to do together as a team. However, he knew that Levi could manage just fine on his own.

"At least he could have written a note or something." Furlan complained.

"Don't worry. He will be back before you know it." Ella replied, trying to make him feel better. "Aren't you hungry? You haven't touched your breakfast yet. You should eat a bit more to get your strength back." She advised him motherly.

"I guess I'm not in the mood... I know he can do it on his own, but we were supposed to do it together, as we always do." He insisted, still thinking about it. "Probably he is still upset..." Furlan said quietly.

"Why would he be?" Ella asked curiously. Furlan sighed.

"Last night, after we came back from our walk, he told me that since you came here my performance has decreased. In other words, he thinks you are a distraction." The man explained. Ella seemed offended.

"I can't believe he dared say that to you! After all the efforts you make for all of us. He surely has no idea what he is talking about." She said rising her voice, annoyed.

"Well, whether he believes that or not, he left to do the job on his own anyway." Furlan added. Ella tilted her head thoughtfully, he was right and there was nothing they could do now.

The two of them passed the day quietly at home. Ella did the chores she would usually do, but at least she was not alone. Furlan didn't move much. He was feeling better, but Ella didn't allow him to make any effort. She wanted to return the favour somehow. She made lunch for the two of them, knowing that Levi wouldn't return that early. They managed to enjoy each other company without interruptions, talking about different things, plans and dreams. That was what Ella liked the most. Furlan was really smart and open-minded, making their conversations extremely interesting. Besides, she felt really comfortable around him, allowing her to talk openly no matter the topic. On the other hand, Furlan just loved the way she expressed herself, with all her gestures and her voice changing depending on the subject. He simply enjoyed listening to her. Furlan told her about his first encounter with Levi and how they ended up making their own gang, it was definitely an interesting story to listen to. Every time they would talk to each other, they lost track of the time, passing dinner time. They ate something before going to bed. 

That night, Ella didn't have to convince Furlan to sleep in the bed. As he was slightly injured, she told him to use the bed, at least until he would feel better. He accepted but with the condition that she would use the bed too, as he didn't want her to spend the night on the sofa. That is why they ended up in the same bed, next to each other. At first, they both were a bit too shy, but finally, Furlan passed his arm around her bringing her closer to him, and Ella lay on his chest comfortably. It was dead quiet, and the only noise in the room was their heartbeats and fast breathing. They kissed each other good night and fell into a deep sleep.

The next morning, they got worried once they realised Levi wouldn't have returned by then. They didn't have any note from him, which meant that he hadn't returned since then. Although Furlan was concerned for his friend, he hid his feelings in order to avoid Ella from getting worried too. They had a quick breakfast together and got ready to go out, trying to find him, but they were not lucky. They came back home knowing nothing about their friend. Furlan knew there would be a reason for his delay, so he tried distracting his mind from negative thoughts. A couple of days passed by and the couple didn't have any news from Levi. Ella was worried, but she also perceived Furlan's concern and tried changing the subject.

"So, how are you feeling anyway?" She asked pointing at the area where he got stabbed some days ago.

"This?" Furlan answered looking at it. "It doesn't hurt anymore. I guess you are a good doctor after all." He added with a smirk on his face.

"I am glad. When did you change the bandages last?" She asked again. Furlan took a moment to think.

"I don't think I did. Was I supposed to?" He said confused.

"Of course, if you don't want it to get infected." She laughed. "Should we change it now?" She offered him.

"I guess it is a good idea. I don't want it to get infected."

Word count: 825