02. Grayson

Emery and Devyn come back into the hallway wearing very different expressions. Emery looks like someone just told her she won the lottery. Devyn looks like he's about to throw up.

Emery walks back into her room and turns to face me. "You can go now," she tells me, nodding at the fact I'm still standing in front of her door.

When I don't move, she slams the door in my face.

"Idiot," I hear her mutter from the other side of the door. She's the fucking idiot.

Devyn shakes his head and walks back down the hall. I follow him and let my eyes rake over his face. He looks like hell. His hair is a mess from the fact that he's obviously been running his hands through it, and his cheeks are still pink from his blush.

"So," I say slowly, "how'd it go?"

He shakes his head and takes a deep breath. "Emery said I should ask Leia out," he mutters.

"Finally something we agree on," I snort. "I've been telling you that for months."

He doesn't say anything else until we are sitting on the couch. "Yeah well considering you've never had a girlfriend, you don't seem like the best person to get relationship advice from," Devyn says, a small smile spreading across his face.

"I told you," I mutter, "I'm saving myself for someone." That someone being your sister.

And the worst part is, I've tried to ignore how I feel. I've tried really fucking hard, but I just can't. Emery has the most gorgeous brown eyes I've ever seen. And her perfect chocolate colored hair. She's the most beautiful person I've ever seen, even if she is my best friend's little sister.

"Yeah, well," He says, patting me on the back, "she must be really special if you've been waiting your whole life to date her."

Yeah well if she could stop hating me for five minutes, maybe she'd see that I actually like her.

Devyn must see something in my expression because he gently touches my shoulder and gives me a soft smile, "I wish you would tell me who she is. I mean, I've always told you when I have feelings for girls."

"I know," I say, smiling sadly. "I want to. I just don't think you'd support it very much. I don't want something like this to ruin us being friends."

Something flashes across his face, but it's gone as quickly as it came and he shakes his head. "I don't think it would," Devyn says, "but if you really think so."

Before I can say anything else, Aria comes storming out of Emery's room with all four girls following behind her. "Devyn. Micah. Jenson," Aria hisses. "Get your ass over here right now."

"Oh shit," Devyn breathes. He gets up and slowly follows Aria out of the room.

As soon as they're out of sight, my eyes go to the four other girls exchanging uneasy looks.

"So," I murmur, "whose fault is that?"

"What in the hell," Emery snaps, "makes you think it's one of our faults?"

"It's Emery's fault," Rebekah smirks.

"No," Emery narrows her eyes at Rebekah, "it's very much not Emery's fault."

"You made Aria mad," Leia says, biting her lip to keep from smiling.

"Yeah well," Emery counters, "I'm not the one who confessed feelings for his sister's friend."

My eyes go wide, "he did?"

All four girls turn to look at me.

Rebekah cocks her head to the side, "what do you mean 'he did?'"

"He's had feelings for a long time," I smirk. "I've been telling him for months he should tell her."

Leia's cheeks go pink and she gets a lovesick grin on her face.

Emery turns back to Rebekah and smirks, "I told you it wasn't my fault."

Aria comes back into the room and grabs Leia's hand, dragging her back to the room Devyn is in.

Rebekah, Joslyn, and Emery all smile.

Emery goes to say something, but before she can get any words out, someone knocks on the front door.

"I'll get it," Emery rolls her eyes.

Emery opens the door and smiles when she sees whoever is there.

"Hi," Emery murmurs.

"Hey," a deep voice replies. I know that voice. It's fucking Jack. Emery's current boyfriend.

Emery and Jack make their way into the living room and Rebekah and Joslyn smile when they see the couple.

"Oh," Joslyn says. "Hey, Jack."

"Hi," he replies, wrapping an arm around Emery's shoulder.

Rebekah looks at Joslyn, but Joslyn just shrugs.

Jack doesn't even acknowledge my presence, but it doesn't bother me. I don't like you either, you asshole.

Jack and Emery sit down next to Rebekah and they start having a conversation about shit I know Rebekah and Joslyn couldn't care less about. Even Emery doesn't look fully into the conversation, but Jack just keeps talking.

Before I can snap at him, Aria, Devyn, and Leia come back into the room. Devyn's eyes find mine and he crosses the room to sit next to me.

When he doesn't say anything, I arch an eyebrow at him, "so?"

When he doesn't answer, I follow his gaze to see him staring at Leia. Okay, that's good news, right?

"Devyn," I try getting his attention, and this time he turns to face me. "What happened?"

"I'm dating Leia," he says, an idiotic grin spreading on his face. "I mean Aria isn't happy, but Leia and I are."

"Well that's good," I say smiling. "I think Aria will get over it. I'm sure she's happy for you both."

Devyn nods and his eyes wander over to Leia again. God, the fool is in love.

With Devyn staring at Leia, and Emery making goo-goo eyes at Jack, everything becomes too much. I get up and start walking toward the kitchen.

"Grayson," I hear Devyn say, "where are you going?"

"Bathroom," I mutter.

But instead, I end up in the kitchen. I let out a little breath I didn't know I'd been holding, and grab a water bottle from the fridge.

I drink it slowly, spending about five minutes just staring at the wall before heading toward the bathroom.

When I open the door, I find Emery standing there, staring at her reflection.

She jumps when she sees me.

"Sorry," I mutter, but make no move to leave. I just stand there staring at her.

She arches an eyebrow at me, "are you just going to stand there all night?"

"I don't know," I smirk, "do you want me to?"

She rolls her eyes and looks down.

Why isn't she shit-talking me? My eyes search her face for any sign of what she's feeling, "you good?"

"Why do you care, Woods?" Emery smirks, acting sort of like herself again.

"I don't," I say, "I just thought I should ask." Yes, I do care. I care a lot.

"Oh," Emery murmurs. "How thoughtful of you."

"I know, right?" I smirk at her.

"Careful Woods," she snorts, "I might start thinking you actually have a heart."

"Ah," I agree. "We can't have that, now can we?"