40. Grayson

I collapse on the bed next to Emery. Her legs are trembling and her eyes are droopy. I wrap my arms around her and hug her tight.

"I love you," I kiss her forehead.

"I love you too," she grins lazily.

She tucks her face into my neck, her breath tickling me.

"I still need to ice your face, baby," I mumble, dropping my head onto the top of hers.

"I don't like the ice," she pouts. "It's too cold."

"I know. But you need it," I smile.

"You want to know what else I need?" She smirks at me.

"I don't think I do," I laugh. I have a feeling whatever she says is going to be dirty.

"Yes, you do. I need—"

A knock interrupts her.

"Grayson, I'm heading out for a bit," my dad says awkwardly.

Emery's smile disappears and she looks away from me.

"Okay. I'll see you later," I call back, keeping my eyes on Emery.

"What's wrong, baby?" I ask quietly, pulling her hands away from her face.

"I just don't want your dad to feel like I'm kicking him out. He's only leaving because I'm here. Am I making him uncomfortable? You could've told me that he didn't want me here, you know? I would've—"

"Emmy, hey, what are you talking about?" I grab her chin and turn her face so she's looking at me. "You're not making him uncomfortable. Or kicking him out. I told you that he likes you."

I see tears forming in her eyes. "Are you sure?" She whispers.

"Emmy," I murmur, sitting up on the bed and pulling her into my lap. "Why are you crying, baby?"

"I—I don't know—I just feel bad," she tries to look away but I keep my fingers on her jaw.

"Baby, it's okay. He's fine. He's probably going to work or something," I kiss the top of her head.

"Okay," her face turns red.

"Oh, baby, what am I going to do with you?" I sigh, smiling softly.

She looks up at me, confused.

"How come you're so emotional today?" I ask teasingly.

Her blush deepens and she tries to hide her face again.

"Hey, baby, I'm joking. What's wrong? Why are you so embarrassed?" I kiss her forehead.

"I don't know," she closes her eyes. "I don't know what's wrong with me today."

"Nothings wrong with you, Emmy. You're perfect," I smile when she blushes again.

I lay back down and pull the blanket over us. "Besides," I murmur, "you're cute when you're blushing."

She smiles and I run my fingers through her hair.

"Gray?" Emery mumbles.

"Yes, baby?" I sigh.

"When do you leave for New York?" She whispers.

"Less than a week," I breathe, trying my best not to sound disappointed. "I still wish I could take you with me."

"Call me, okay? Every day?" She looks up at me with sad eyes.

"No, don't do that," I kiss her nose. "Don't be sad. It's only a week. I'll be back. I'll bring you back a hoodie."