45. Emery

Grayson carries me to my room and gently sets me on my bed. He walks away to my closet and I start shivering without his body heat. He's always so warm.

"Gray, come back," I pout.

"I'm coming, baby," he murmurs, carrying some clothes over to me. "Put these on so you're not so cold."

"I'm perfectly warm when you lay with me," I say, pulling him back into bed with me.

"I don't want you to get sick, pretty girl," he protests, trying to grab the clean clothes again.

"Fine," I sigh, letting him pull me up.

I change into the clothes he hands me as quickly as I can. Grayson lays down in my bed and I snuggle into his arms. He smiles and starts playing with my hair.

There's a knock at the door and it takes every ounce of self-control I have not to scream at whoever is on the other side.

"What?" I groan.

"I need to talk to Grayson," Devyn says.

"Absolutely fucking not," I snap.

Devyn opens the door and comes in.

"Look—"

"I don't want to look at anything—"

"Don't interrupt me," Devyn sighs. "I just came in here to apologize."

"What?" I blink, suddenly confused.

"Did he tell you?" Devyn nods at Grayson.

"Yes," I whisper, trying not to cry again.

"Okay. Well, I'm sorry. To both of you," Devyn turns to look at Grayson. "I don't know why I said that. I know you're good for her. I've seen it. You always take care of her. I was having a shit day and I took it out on you."

"Are you only apologizing now because I chose her?" Grayson says, his voice emotionless.

"No," Devyn shakes his head. "I—I just—look, what I did was wrong. I shouldn't have done it like that. I was just pissed off—"

"Done what like that?" I narrow my eyes at him.

"You remember what I said, right?" He turns back to look at Grayson. "About how she deserves everything? Yeah, well, you've given it to her. You chose her. No one else is better for her than you are."

"Wait, so you wanted me to choose her?" Grayson asks, surprise clear on his face.

"Yeah. And it was stupid of me to do it like that. Seriously, I'm sorry. But I know you deserve her," Devyn says.

I stay silent, not trusting my voice to stay even.

I want to scream at him, but I know it'll just come out in sobs.

Devyn sighs quietly and walks out.

"Are you still mad at him?" I whisper to Grayson.

"I—God, I don't know," he runs his fingers through his hair. "I really wish he wouldn't have done that, but he's still my best friend. I don't know what to feel."

"I know," I breathe into his neck.

"What about you?" He massages my shoulders.

"I'm still pissed at him. But he's my brother," I sigh. "I know I'm not going to be mad forever."

I hear my stomach growl quietly and I start talking, trying to cover it up. "Hey, did you know—"

"Let's go eat, baby," he kisses my forehead, pulling me into his arms before standing up.