20. Grayson

I roll over and groan softly.

"Does your head heart?" Emery asks. My head is on her stomach and my feet are hanging off the bed. Why the fuck am I laying sideways?

"Yeah," I mumble, looking up at her.

She hands me a bottle of painkillers.

"When did you get these?" I murmur, taking them gratefully.

"Leia brought them in a few minutes ago after she gave some to Devyn," she says.

"You look tired," I say, noting the small bags under her eyes.

She just shrugs.

"How'd you guys get home last night?" Emery whispers after a second.

I open my mouth to tell her, but nothing comes out. "I can't remember," I mumble.

She doesn't look surprised, she just sighs.

"Did I already tell you that last night?" I ask.

She makes a sound somewhere between a laugh and a sigh. "You said a lot of things last night."

"Like what?" I murmur, feeling myself tense. I hope I didn't tell her that I love her.

"When I told you that you needed to go to bed, you pretty much told me to stop treating you like a baby," she smiles at me. "And then you told me that you wanted to have a baby with me. Not now though, cause we're only in high school and Devyn would kill you. Then, when I asked you if you were drunk, you told me you were moderately functional. Then, I asked you how much you had to drink and you told me you stopped counting after the first one. And then when I finally got you into my room, you told me my bed smelled like your girlfriend."

I don't know if I should laugh or be embarrassed. I was a lot last night.

Wait.

I told her I wanted to have a baby with her?

Fuck.

"And you actually dealt with me?" I ask instead.

"Yeah," she shrugs. "Leia was dealing with Devyn, and you seemed to be doing better than he was."

"You guys don't have to go to school," Leia says as she opens the door. "I don't think Devyn is going anywhere with the way he's acting right now. He won't get up."

"Fine by me," Emery mutters, putting her hands over her eyes. "I'm going back to sleep."

"I don't blame you," Leia sighs while walking away.

"Do you want me to—"

I cut myself off when I look up at her and see she's already asleep. She must be really tired.

I shut my eyes and let myself drift back to sleep.

I wake up to Emery shifting on the bed.

"Sorry," she murmurs, laying still again. "Did I wake you up?"

"It's fine," I rub the sleep from my eyes. "Did you get enough sleep?"

"Yeah, I'm good," she says quietly, avoiding my eyes.

"Emmy?" I murmur.

"Emmy, what's wrong?" I ask again when she still won't meet my gaze.

"Look at me," I sit up on the bed and move over to get a better view of her face.

Her eyes are red and puffy. Shit.

"What's wrong, Emmy?" I whisper. "Why are you crying?"

"I'm fine," she insists.

"Emery Nicole Jenson," I put my hands on her cheeks and force her to keep looking at me. "Don't fucking lie to me. Why are you crying?"

She doesn't answer, instead, she just hands me her phone. I quickly put her password in and immediately see what she's seen.

There are more messages, from Debbie this time.

Debbie: It seems like your boyfriend and brother had fun yesterday.

Debbie: They were quite interesting to watch.

"Emmy, if you're crying because you think we did something with her—"

"No, it's not that, I just," she cuts me off, biting her lip to keep more tears from falling. "What if she was watching you guys the whole time? What if Jack was the one who told her to watch you guys, and she took pictures or something."

"Don't worry about it, Emmy," I murmur. "It'll be fine. Nothing happened. We didn't even see her, but even if she did have pictures, what is she going to do with them?"

"I don't know," Emery breathes.

"Nothing will happen, Emmy. It's okay," I brush my thumbs over her cheeks and she nods.

"You guys didn't want—hey, keep your hands off of my sister," Devyn frowns as he opens the door.

"Devyn, leave them alone. He's your sister's boyfriend, of course, he's going to be touching her," Leia mutters, grabbing Devyn's arm and trying to pull him away.

"Yeah," Emery teases. "Listen to your girlfriend, Devyn."

"Fine," Devyn scoffs but lets Leia pull him away.

"I told Leia," Emery murmurs after they're out of earshot.

"About?" I ask, confused.

"Us," she sighs.

"Yeah?" I murmur. I thought she didn't want to tell them.

"Mhm," she mumbles. "I wanted to talk to Aria, but she didn't come back last night, and I was stressing out for some reason and she kept saying how we are a good couple and I just—I kinda—I don't even know, but I just can't—"

"Emmy, calm down," I squeeze her hand softly. "I think you need to sleep more."

"Maybe," she bites her lip.

"Lay down and go to sleep," I say, gently pushing her shoulders back until her head falls onto her pillow.

"Are you going to leave?" Emery looks up at me.

"Do you want me to?" I arch an eyebrow at her.

She hesitates for a second before sliding her phone into my hand.

"Don't give me that back until I wake up," she murmurs, rolling onto her side as her eyes drift closed.

She's so pretty, even when she's asleep.

Before I can get up to leave, she rolls over again and puts her head in my lap. I can't move without waking her up.

I rest my head against the wall to wait for her to wake up.

She only sleeps twenty minutes before I see her open her eyes again.

"How long did I sleep?" Emery yawns, stretching.

"Exactly twenty-three minutes," I say as I glance at my phone.

"That isn't long," she frowns.

"No, it isn't," I agree.

"I'm hungry," she grins up at me suddenly.

"You want to go eat?" I smile.

"Yes," she giggles. "But I'll pay this time, you don't—"

"I'll pay," I cut her off.