12. Grayson

I've never seen Emery laugh as much as she just did.

Even if it was because I hit my fucking head.

Now, Emery is scrolling on her phone, even though I can still see her trying not to laugh.

A few seconds later, the door swings open.

"Couple of the year," Rebekah smirks. "I've never seen two people who like each other ignore each other so much."

"What's wrong with us not acknowledging each other?" Emery smirks back. "Would you rather us be making out?"

"Don't ask for my opinion," Rebekah laughs.

"What'd you come bother us for?" Emery rolls her eyes.

"We're staying the night," Rebekah says. "So you're boyfriend has to leave. Unless you want him to join us."

"Is Devyn joining us?" Emery hesitates.

"Nope," Rebekah smiles. "Aria said he's not allowed to."

"Then what makes you think she'll let Grayson stay?" Emery laughs.

"I don't know," she shrugs.

"Well, I'll leave you two be then," Rebekah clears her throat after the three of us sit there awkwardly for two minutes.

"Okay," Emery mumbles.

She shuts the door behind her and Emery sighs.

"We're really bad at this," Emery murmurs.

Yeah.

"Yeah, well, I've never had a girlfriend before, so you're going to have to tell me what to do," I reply.

"I know, I'm sorry, I just—Jack was my first real boyfriend and it wasn't a very good relationship, so I have no idea what I'm doing either," she whispers, burying her face in her hands. "I'm scared Grayson. I'm so scared. I don't want to mess anything up for you. What if they want us to do something crazy? You've—"

"Emery," I whisper, not saying anything else until she looks up at me. "I get it. I get that you're scared. I'm scared too. We don't have to do this if you feel like it's too much."

"No—no it's not that," she shakes her head. "I just don't want you to feel pressured to do anything for me. I mean, it's not like we've gotten along before, I'm always a bitch to you."

"Don't act like I haven't deserved it," I smile.

Emery covers her smile with her hand.

Fuck, she's so pretty.

"You're sure you're okay with this?" She asks again.

"For fucks sake, Emery," I laugh, "I already told you I'm fine."

"I know, I'm sorry," she takes a deep breath and rubs her eyes. "I'm sorry."

"You don't have to keep apologizing, you know," I say.

"I know, sorry—shit, not sorry," Emery mumbles.

Aria walks in and claps her hands. "Alright, Grayson, out. It's our turn with Emery. You need to share."

"Yes, ma'am," I chuckle, getting off the bed and walking out.

I walk into Devyn's room and he looks up at me from his bed.

"How's it going with Emery?" He smirks. "Did she laugh at you again?"

"No," I roll my eyes, "she didn't."

He smiles but doesn't say anything else.

"What's wrong?" I sigh.

"Nothing," Devyn mutters.

"Don't lie to me," I snort. "Something's obviously wrong."

"It's just weird, knowing that you're dating my sister," he shrugs.

"Okay, first of all," I say, "You started dating Emery's friend first. And second, it's fake. We're not together."

"Oh, come on, Grayson," Devyn shakes his head. "You've been in love with her since you were little. Don't act like you don't want it to be real."

"I didn't say I didn't want it to be. I said it's not," I blurt.

"So you would date her? For real if you could?" Devyn mumbles.

"Yeah," I whisper. "But that's not what she wants. She's still hated me her whole life, even if I haven't."

"Maybe try talking to her?" He suggests.

"I thought you just said—"

"I know what I said," Devyn snaps. "I don't like the idea of you dating my sister, but I'm not going to keep being a bitch about it. You're my best friend and I trust that you'll do what's best for her. Especially since she's the only girl you've ever had feelings for."

I nod slowly.

"I just think that if you haven't hated her this whole time, maybe there's a way you two can work something out," he sighs. "Maybe if you give it time, she'll love you the same way you love her."

Emery loving me? Fuck, that'd be nice.

"So," Devyn drawls.

"So?" I tilt my head.

"Are you going to get your girl?" He raises his eyebrows.

"She's not my girl," I mutter.

"But she could be," he smirks.

"I'm not going to force her to like me," I snort.

"Not force, you idiot," he rolls his eyes. "Just be nice to her. Get her to like you for real."

"Isn't that the same thing?" I mumble.

"Course not," Devyn smirks. "You have my permission to get her to like you."

"Why do I need your permission?" I laugh.

He just shrugs, still smirking.

"How's it going with Leia?" I cock an eyebrow.

His face flushed as he smiles. This fool.

"Good," he blurts. "Really good."

"Seems like it from the way you're smiling," I laugh.

"Mhm," he hums.

A knock interrupts us.

"Open the door," Aria calls from the other side.

"It's not locked," Devyn sighs. "Just open it yourself. I don't want to get up."

The door opens and Aria steps in, closing it behind her.

"You," Aria says pointing at me, "need to figure out how to make this more believable. They don't believe that you guys are really together, and if they don't believe it, no one will."

"No," Devyn shakes his head, frowning. "They don't need to make it more believable. Anything more and they'll be kissing all of the time. Then I'll think it's real."

"They don't need to be kissing all of the time. But they need to figure something out. They look so awkward," Aria fires back. Good, they probably didn't see my flush.

"Are you suggesting that they need to kiss?" Devyn snarls.

"Look, Devyn," Aria sighs. "I know it's awkward for you, but you don't think it's awkward for Em and I to see you and Leia kissing each other all the time? You're dating our friend too. And no one is going to believe Emery and Grayson's relationship is real if they never hang out together. What kind of couple never kisses in public?"

Devyn just looks down at his lap, refusing to meet Aria's gaze.

I don't know how the fuck I'm going to kiss Emery without losing my shit.