16. Grayson

As I walk to the counter to get our food, I see Debbie laughing about something with her friends.

I hate her and her fucking boyfriend.

I quickly grab the bags and walk back to the table.

I sit down as Emery makes grabby hands for the bags. I chuckle and hand them to her.

"How'd you know what to get me?" Emery gasps.

"Because we come here at least once a week," I laugh.

She gives me a sheepish smile. She loves this place so much, we all come with her all of the time.

She pulls her food out and slides the bag over to me so I can get mine.

"I'll pay you back later," she says, shoving fries into her mouth.

"I don't need you to pay me back," I smile, eating some of my own food.

"I know, but I'll still—"

"It's fine, Emmy," I laugh. "Just eat. Don't worry about it."

She huffs but doesn't argue anymore.

"So how come Debbie only eats grass?" I cock an eyebrow at her. "Is it normal for girls to act like rabbits and only eat plants and green shit?"

She chokes on her food and laughs.

"Lots of girls only eat salads," she laughs.

"Why?" I wrinkle my nose in disgust. "Why would they want to torture themselves like that?"

"I don't know," she shrugs still laughing. "Ask Joslyn. She used to eat salads all the time."

"Remind me not to get on her bad side," I mumble. "People that eat like that scare me. You never know what kind of crazy shit they might do."

She starts laughing even harder, and I have to smile. I love seeing her happy, especially when she's been as sad as she was earlier.

We talk the whole time we eat, and by the time we're done, Emery's been laughing so much, she keeps touching her cheeks like they hurt.

"Thank you, Gray," Emery smiles as we walk back to my car. "This was nice."

"Yeah, it was," I smile.

We get into my car and Emery rests her head on the window. I don't know if she falls asleep, but I stay quiet the whole drive back, just in case she is.

When we pull up to the house, I reach over and gently touch her shoulder.

"Emmy," I murmur. "We're here."

"Mhm," she mumbles but doesn't move.

I open my door and walk around to her side.

I open her door and pull her into my arms to carry her inside.

"I can walk," she protests lightly.

"And I can carry you," I murmur into her hair.

She nods and wraps her arms around my neck, tucking her face into my shoulder.

When I open the door, Aria, Devyn, and Leia turn to look at us.

Before saying anything to them, I take Emery to bed and shut the door behind me when I walk out.

"Where've you guys been?" Aria asks.

"We went to eat," I say, sitting on the couch next to Devyn. "What time did you guys get back?"

"Almost an hour ago," Devyn replies.

"Oh," I mumble.

"I should probably go," Leia sighs.

"Now?" Devyn pouts.

"Yeah," Leia says, kissing his cheek. "I'll see you tomorrow."

"Bye, Leia," Aria calls.

"Bye," Leia says back.

She shuts the door as she walks out.

"How come you guys went to get food?" Aria asks, turning to look at me.

"Jack is still being a bitch," I scowl.

"Oh," Aria murmurs, not saying anything else.

"Are you staying the night?" Devyn yawns.

"Probably," I mumble.

"Okay," he gets up and stretches. "I'm going to bed. I'll see you in the morning, Grayson."

"Okay," I nod.

"I'm going to bed too," Aria murmurs as she gets up.

As soon as Aria leaves, I lay my head back and close my eyes.

I'm too tired to go to Devyn's room.

xxx

When I wake up, Devyn and Aria are already on their way out the door.

"Grayson, you're probably going to have to wake Emery up," Aria says as she walks out. "Be careful."

I yawn as I walk to Emery's room.

I knock to make sure she isn't already awake, but when she doesn't say anything, I open the door.

She's still asleep and her alarm is going off.

I stand there for two minutes, smirking as she sleeps through her alarm.

"Emmy," I murmur as I walk to her bed.

"Go away," she groans, pulling the pillow over her head.

"You need to get up," I smile, pulling the blanket off her body.

"No, it's cold," she tries to grab the blanket, but her eyes are still closed so she fails miserably.

"We have school and—"

"Gray," she whines, wrapping her arms around her pillow as I try to pry it from her grip.

"You need to go to school, Emmy," I murmur.

"Please, Gray," she pleads. "I don't want to go."

"I know," I smile. "But your sister is going to kill me if you don't go."

"But—"

"Come on, Emmy," I grab her hand and try to get her to sit up. "Don't get me in trouble with Aria. Or Devyn."

"Fine," she frowns, letting me pull her up into a sitting position.

"Get your clothes on," I tell her as I walk out.

I walk into Devyn's room and grab the first clothes I can find and throw them on.

As I walk out, I knock on Emery's door again.

"Are you up?" I call.

When she doesn't reply, I open her door.

"Emmy," I sigh as I see her still laying in bed.

"Please don't make me go," she begs as she pulls the blankets up to her chin.

I guess I'll just have to deal with a pissed of Devyn and Aria.

"Fine," I sigh, watching as a wide smile spreads across her face. "But you're going to make sure your siblings don't kill me."

"Deal," she smiles as she buries her face in her pillow.