Chapter - 5

A car was running on a muddy road through the fresh and clear surroundings along it, garnished with tall, vibrant, and green trees. The sky was not clear yet but the clouds were not as thick and dark as were before. Still, it was falling in drops intermittently.

Wang Yibo was driving the car at a steady speed on a slippery road caused by continuous rains for the past two days. His hands tightened on the steering wheel when he heard the giggle of the person next to him. He angrily turned his head towards Mrs. Wang, who was trying to suppress her laughter by holding her mouth.

Ignoring his gaze, she looked away from him and turned her gaze out the window, which only made YiBo more upset. His brows furrowed to reveal his annoyance which she again avoided. She's been like this ever since they left for Mrs. Han's shop. She was giggling like a child yet he did not pay attention to her. But now, he couldn't stand it anymore and whispered in an upset voice.

“What?” His glare was sharp but it failed to intimidate his mother.

“ What... what?” She replied innocently.

“Stop laughing like that, mom?" He asked with quick reflexes taking a slight turn to avoid a small pothole in the road.

“Why? Can’t I laugh?” Mrs Wang retorted back.

“Didn’t you have fun already?”

“I would love to do it again.” She exclaimed excitedly.

“That’s enough, mom. You are not a kid.” He raised his tone a bit, which was answered with a tight slap on his arm.

“Aye! The scared kitten of a few minutes ago is now behaving like a fearful cub in front of me. He is shouting at its mother. How brave he has become!” She teased him by making an amusing face. Wang YiBo’s face fell at his mother's comment.

“Mom” He whined like a child wronged and bullied by his mother.

Mrs. Wang couldn't help herself and a small chuckle escaped her lips. And following that, there was another loud burst of laughter that immediately made her turn her head toward the source of that sound. Wang Yibo was laughing uncontrollably. The scene was mesmerizing.

She recalled the incident of their delight that happened a few moments ago.

Mrs. Wang was standing on the porch outside her house when she saw her son running inside the house and rapidly closing the door. She wondered what had happened to make YiBo act so carelessly, but she could not understand. So, she shrugged and stood there asking him to come out as they both were getting late to reach their destination. There was no response from the other side of the door.

“Yibo, come out now or else I'm going alone.” She threatened him with the hope that it would work but it was also in vain. She turned around to leave. Just taking a few steps, she caught the sight of a figure who was entering through the open gate. Behind the figure was a middle-aged woman, holding an umbrella in one hand and an envelope with some flowers in the other. The wrinkles on her face showed that she was older than Mrs. Wang. She laughed heartily to know the reason why her son disappeared.

Coming closer to Mrs. Wang, the two of them greeted her which was accepted with a broad and somewhat mischievous smile on her part as well. She kept looking at that figure with pleasing expressions. The old lady shook her head at Mrs. Wang's response.