Chapter - 24

No matter what she feels, the truth is she can’t change whatever was in the past.

Tears welled up in her eyes but after hearing footsteps from behind she did not let them go. Knowing Zhou Shi’s presence, she wiped the left remnants of her tears and stabilized herself before turning towards him.

“Auntie, I've fixed the problem. This happened due to some damage to the wires. It broke because of the cold. I changed all the damaged wires. All is well now." Zhou Shi adjusted his tool bag on the floor.

That's when Mrs. Wang felt the room temperature rise. She smiled.  "Thanks, son! It's nice to feel some warmth from this now."

“No thanks needed, auntie. Just keep checking them again and again." He scrunched his nose and asked. "What's that smell, Auntie?"

“What smell?" She also constricted her nose while sniffing in the air. She felt a strong sweet burning whiff coming to her nostrils, reminding her, what it might be and she took no time to reach the kitchen.

The tea water was completely burnt and the tea leaves were stuck in the pan kept on the stove. Taking a deep breath, Mrs Wang asked Zhou Shi to sit and wait two minutes while keeping the pan in the sink. It was going to take her some time to make tea again.

“Alright, Auntie. I'll go now." Yun's voice was heard in the living room.

“Wait two minutes for me. By then the tea will be ready. I'll come with it.” Mrs. Wang answered, taking another pan from the cupboard.

“It's okay Auntie. Also, I have to go somewhere else for work. I'll come some other day and then I'll have tea with you and Ge. Never mind, Auntie. I promise I'll be back soon." He tried to make it clear that he couldn't stay longer because he had other jobs too. He resonated well for letting the woman agree to his promise.

Mrs. Wang had no reason to force him, so she walked into the living room, placing the pan on the kitchen counter. "I'm sorry for my carelessness. Although I want you to stay but I won't stop you if you have a job. Bring your mom along next time."

“Sure. I'll bring her too. Now, I'm leaving, Auntie." He picked up his bag when Mrs. Wang stopped him again and went to her room to get her purse. She paid him for his job that he was unwilling to take, saying that it was nothing compared to what Yibo had done for them. Yet in the end, he had to accept it when Mrs. Wang reminded him of the last time he had done the same thing and Wang Yibo had scolded him.

After Zhou Shi left Mrs. Wang stood in the living room for a while. Then she went to see Xiao Zhan but this time she didn't go inside and came back seeing him through the door. Xiao Zhan was still lying in a deep sleep. The room temperature was now stabilizing and not as cold as before and with the rising temperature, he seemed more comfortable than ever.

Waiting was never easy for anyone and now that she was there, left alone at home with a person who had no senses and with splinters of past, she felt agitated for the first time in many years in this quietness. She wanted nothing but her son to return. There was a voice in her heart wishing for the presence of his son next to him. But it was taking a long time for him to come which was making her impatient.

She sat on the couch and prayed for him to return safely.

Her prayer was soon granted when two figures coming through the foyer door. They had several bags in their hands and were struggling to carry them inside. Seeing her son in front of her, Mrs. Wang heaved a sigh of relief.

“I’m here, mom.” Wang YiBo walked into the living area and laid the bag on the couch, next to her. She lowered her head to hide the fear and pain.