Chapter - 19

Passing through the hospital corridor, Wang Yibo was headed to his office after finishing his evening rounds to all wards. His steps were slow but steady. He had planned to finish earlier in the evening and decided to go home today to rest. It had been days since he had a good sleep and the dark circles under his eyes and his pale and tired face were proof of this.

Since the landslide, it has become his routine to stay overnight in the hospital and take care of patients and their needs. As the head of this small but prestigious hospital in the vicinity, he had always made sure that he kept an eye on everything and never neglected his duties. When he was not around, not in town, he would hand over the responsibility of the hospital to his friend, another senior doctor, Dr. Yu Hua. Unfortunately, due to some family issues he too was not around these days and was returning in the evening.

He thought he could go earlier today. That too, after ten long days.

Ten days...It had been ten days since the landslide accident happened and in these ten days he had not even met his that special patient. The days were difficult for him and the most difficult thing in the beginning was to get any information about Xiao Zhan's health. While thinking this, he got lost in the events of the past days.

In those days, he was busy with hospital work on the one hand and was worried about Xiao Zhan's condition on the other. About his health and his surgery which he could not do due to returning to his hometown the same evening. He had thought that he would go to check on that patient over the weekend, but who knew what disaster was waiting for him on the way and due to this he got stuck at this place.

The next three days after that landslide, he spent day and night taking care of everyone and worrying about Xiao Zhan because he had no way of contacting anyone to know how he was doing. How has his surgery gone? Could it be went without any complications as they thought or not? He didn't know all this. And how could he know when everything was so messed up here?

He had no way to know anything.

Therefore, he left all his thoughts and started working to relieve the suffering of others.

The disaster was so severe that in the end, the government had to entrust the task of reconstruction to the army on the request of the administration. Thus, two days after the landslide, the army took overall supervision in their control and set up a temporary base camp and built a wireless telephone booth so that people could convey the messages of their well-being to their families and loved ones.

When Wang YiBo heard about the wireless booth, he wanted to run there the same day so he could have a chance to communicate with anyone who could help him figure out what was going on there, on the side of the very patient who, despite him being busy with others, has occupied most of his thoughts. But he could not go when a patient had to be shifted to the emergency room due to sudden deteriorating health and he was, once again, stuck there for the whole night taking care of him.

The next morning, at dawn, Wang YiBo woke up early, picked up his coat and left the hospital to go to the army booth to try his luck, in hope to get some information that day. It was still dark all around as of the dark clouds, which covered the sky above him and the showers coming from above made the area chilled with a cool wind.

The short drive took longer than usual due to the slippery road due to the drizzling. The effects of the tragedy were still visible in the area where the army camp was located. It was near the landslide area.

Once he was there, it took longer than the drive to contact anyone. Though, he tried his luck calling all of them who he knew. The signals were weak and the calls got disconnected every time ever before ringing on the other side. But, today he was adamant to wait patiently and didn’t want to leave before getting any information, so he stayed there, trying again and again.