Chapter- 17

On a long two-way highway, a car was running at a subtle speed. It was 10 o'clock in the night and still it was going to take more than an hour for the driver to reach his destination.

Wang Yibo was wary with sharp eyes. He was driving patiently, avoiding the temptation to drive fast and reach his home early. The road was not slippery like last time because it had not rained today. His eyes were fixed on the road when suddenly from somewhere some small stones started falling on the road.

Wang Yibo looked around quickly but saw nothing in the darkness. The car kept losing its balance due to ground shaking.

Struggling to maintain balance on the wheels, Wang Yibo tried to find a safe place where he could stop the vehicle to assess the situation. But before he could find such a place, a loud bang shook the ground.

BOOOMMMMMM…. !!

A loud sound echoed in the vast area. The sound was loud even in a car with the windows closed. Wang YiBo’s entire body was shocked by that ear-piercing sound and he lost balance on the steering wheel. The car crossed the barrier in the other lane at high speed and turned towards the abyss.

Running too fast to meet the emptiness, it was about to hit the last obstacle when, with his trembling hands and pounding heart, Wang Yibo took control of the steering wheel. He took a sharp turn to the left and at the same speed. The car veered and within no time, hit a roadside milestone; forcing it to come to a dangerous stop there.

Wang YiBo’s forehead hit the window shield hard and blood started flowing. As soon as the collision occurred, the front part of the car was completely damaged. Smoke started filling from inside the car and stones also started falling on it as if hail was falling from the sky. Wang Yibo shook his head to get rid off of the impact of the shock. He got out of the car and looked towards the hill to see what was happening around. 

From the top of the cliff, huge amounts of soil along with heavy stones are coming down roaring along with bushes and trees.

It would be no exaggeration to say that Wang Yibo was horrified after seeing the horrific scene of landslide. Within a short time, the vast land mass will meet the road and destroy it completely, reaching the bottom of the abyss. He doesn't have time to think about it except to do something for him in a hurry. But what? His car is not in a condition to drive. Whatever he had to do, he had to do it quickly.

He looked around and found other people who were facing the same fear, leaving their vehicles there and running to save their lives as the road was blocked when some other vehicles lost control after the impact of the loud explosion and also collided with each other. Having no other option, he also ran away with them. The stones along with the soil kept hitting people and injuring them. The entire scene was filled with screams and havoc.

In this chaotic situation, an old woman, sitting on the road with blood oozing from her knees and scattered things, was crying for help but everyone was running to save themselves, without paying any attention to her. 

Passing by, Wang Yibo looked at her and without a second thought, he crouched before her his back facing her and asked the woman to get on his back. The poor lady did so without any hesitation and getting up on his feet, he ran ahead with her on his back. The poor woman looked at her scattered belongings with tearful eyes as if she had lost something very precious which could be swept away at any moment with the arriving soil.

No, don't think that he is some angel descended from heaven or some hero who jumps to save others without caring for his life. Trust me he is none of those. He was only a human being. It was his past that made him like this and now, he cannot turn a blind eye to someone in need, even if it means losing his life. Although he can never bring back the past he will always try to make up for it.