Chapter 9: Expectations and Reality

T/W: Homophobia and sexism

"Hello Mr Marsh, nice to meet you," The male idol smiled whole-heartedly as he extended a hand to shake Danielle's father's hand.

"How would you like to take over my company son?" Mr Marsh asked as he patted his back. "Since you're my daughter's boyfriend, you're family."

Danielle's boyfriend looked at her nervously, but Danielle's eyes shooed her away, telling him to accept the offer.

"I would love to, thank you," He replied.

"Well you gotta wait until I retire," Mr Marsh joked as he chuckled, "And you gotta marry me daughter first."

"Of course," He bowed. Witnessing all of this, Danielle can't help but to feel guilty about Haerin. She wanted to tell the cat-eyed fan about everything, how she should've been the one introducing Haerin, not this random male idol she had no feelings for.

That night during the concert when Danielle came home, exhausted, Danielle's father instigated her about the news that was going viral that day, about her and Haerin.

"What is this?" He asked suspiciously, with a tint of anger, raising his eyebrows as he pointed on the newspaper.

"That's nothing dad, you know how the media is always about how I interact with fans. They would believe that I'm dating anyone just with me merely looking at them," Danielle lied, she didn't know or want to tell about how she had feelings for a fan, and that fan was a girl. Afterall, she haven't come out to her dad yet, or anyone close to her for that matter. 

Her father was always the traditional type. With Danielle being his only daughter, she couldn't hand over her company to a girl, he needed a boy to take over his business.

"That better be true," Danielle's father commented as he went on his usual reading, sitting on the sofa in the living room.

Danielle sighed, knowing that there was no way to tell her father about her sexuality, it was making her frustrated, but she didn't want to hurt her father's feelings either.

As her and her boyfriend walk towards the office door, the male idol whispered, "That wasn't part of the plan, now I'm going to take over your dad's company!" He screamed silently, but loud enough for Danielle to hear.

Danielle waved her hand around calmingly, "Just play along, don't worry about it."

They sat down together, it felt like an interview.

"So," Mr Marsh said, "How did you two met?"

"Work," Danielle said, putting her hand on her boyfriend's, signalling to him to let her do the talking.

"Have you both been on any dates?" He asked.

"Yes," Danielle answered.

"No," The male idol answered, which made Danielle look at him in disbelief and annoyance.

"So yes or no?" Mr Marsh raised his eyebrows.

"We haven't been on official dates, but we have spent a lot of time together," Danielle quickly corrected her boyfriend's mistakes.

Mr Marsh nodded, "Well, take all the time you need and please take care of my only daughter. And in return, you will inherit this company once I retire. I'm just glad she's not dating girls," Mr Marsh joked, but that joke hurt Danielle inside. It made her feel like needles were poking right through her skin and into her chest, she thought about Haerin, and how she cut off all connections with her just to please her father and fabricate this lie to make her father happy.

"Sorry, I have to go," Danielle said as she quickly stood up and rushed out of the building.

She hurriedly scrambled for her phone in her pocket and texted: I'm coming over to explain everything.

Author's Note: Sorry about how this chapter containing homophobia and sexism, I felt like these elements are more than common in LGBTQ+ relationship like these and wanted to address them through these stories :)

Please vote for the story if you enjoyed it as it will help me push the story out to more people :D Thank you!