Chapter 13: Meeting Your Parents

On the ride to Marsh Intercorps, Danielle started hyperventilating.

"Don't worry about it Dani," Haerin tried to calm her down, placing her hand above Danielle's.

Danielle shook her head, "You don't understand Kitty, my dad, he doesn't approve of relationships like ours."

"I think every father wants the best for his daughter. If he sees how happy you are with me, surely he would allow us to be together," She lied half-heartedly, she knew with father like Danielle's, there was no way they would change their stubborn mind, but it was time for her to use some of the optimism Danielle always had to calm her girlfriend down.

Danielle smiled slightly at her girlfriend's reassurance.

"You're here, Ms Marsh, Ms Kang," The driver said as he pressed a button. Momentarily, the door in their limo opened.

"Want me to hold your hand while we go in?" Haerin asked.

Danielle just nodded, she was even more nervous, standing in front of her father's massive cooperate building. Sweat started to form on her forehead, her whole body shaking. This time, it wasn't because of the intensity of her workout.

As they stepped inside, the hall was unusually quiet. Usually, it'll be packed with visitors, business partners, and cooperate employees walking around, chatting around or having their meals. But today, nobody was there. It was like Danielle's father ordered everyone to leave.

After the realisation, Haerin's eyes hovered towards a man dressed in a suit, even more imitating than Danielle's boss. He was taller, more well-built, and commanded a more frightening aura near him. Judging by the resemblance of Danielle's feature and his, he knew that this was Mr Marsh.

He approached them, with sounds of his boot hitting the ground after each step echoing in the vast room.

He then opened his mouth to talk, but it was shockingly kind. "Hello Dani! And you must be Haerin!" Although he seemed nice, something about his way of speaking just didn't seem right, his greetings almost sounded too nice, and really sarcastic.

"Hello dad," Danielle said coldly, not willing to meet his eyes.

Haerin then suddenly realised that no one had introduced her to her puppy-eyed girlfriend's father, but yet he still knows her name, "How do you know my name?"

"I have my ways, people working for me," He explained boldly as if that was a normal thing to have in his repertoire. If it wasn't clear before, it certainly was now, Mr Marsh was very influential.

He then made his way in between the two girls, as he put each of his arms on both of their shoulders, looking at Haerin, "Come along, let me show my company!"

"Dad..." Danielle pleaded, it was almost like she knew what was going to happen.

"Shh... Zip it Dani, I must let my daughter-in-law have a nice viewing around the place first. Afterall, I evacuated the whole building just for you both!" He said.

Haerin looked over at the nervous Danielle, who glanced back at her. She tilted her heads, and now it was like both of them were telepaths, their thoughts communicating with each other: He called me his daughter-in-law? He doesn't seem so bad.

Danielle heaved a sigh, an almost disappointing and heavy one: No... It's his way of coping, you're going to figure it out soon.

Haerin shrugged as they both followed Mr Marsh into the elevator, before it closed in front of them.

Danielle's father slowly and surely reached for the button of the top level, before the elevator started going up.

"So," He broke the silence, which was awkward for all of them, "How did you meet Danielle?"