"His only sunshine"

It's been a while since the past events took place. Joseph's plan worked perfectly, and as expected, the authorities were left with no other option but to close the case and claim the discovered body as Michael's.

It wasn't hard to trick them though, all thanks to the massive burns and damage the corpse had suffered.

These aren't the only good news, (Y/N) made a rather quick recovery but... The bad part is that...

She's still unresponsive...

. . .

—"They've been sitting like this for nearly three hours...."— Olivia says with a frown as she looks at your and Michael's form.

—"He tried to move her, but she just returns to that spot again."— Melanie replies, a bit sad too.

(Y/N) was currently sitting in front of her piano in her little workspace but was doing absolutely nothing, just stare straight in front of her as if looking for something, yet her gaze lost and... Empty.

Michael was sitting next to her, just as still as she was but would nudge her side time to time yet he got no reaction from her.

(Y/N) been in this state for around a week, the hospital allowed her return home just today, in hopes that the known environment would somehow bring her memory back, but as you can see no progress is made, not even with Michael by her side...

Both Melanie and Olivia, who were there just to keep an eye on (Y/N) and take her to the hospital in case something goes wrong, silently exit the living room to give her and Michael some space.

—"I'm scared..."— Melanie says, keeping her voice low so Michael doesn't hear them.

Olivia gives her a worried look since Melanie had a genuinely scared expression and her voice carried real worry, nothing like her usual monotone-clueless-self.

—"Wh-Why? Is she a lost case?"— Olivia replies with the same low tone.

Melanie lowers her gaze.

—"The doctor told me that if things remain the same and no progress is made then the hospital would try to contact (Y/N)'s family so they can choose what to do with her. And I'm afraid that the options they will give them..."—

Olivia's eyes widened.

—"Don't tell me they will suggest to unalive her..."— she says with a slightly shaky voice.

Melanie just nods sadly.

—"Unfortunately, that's quite common in medicine. When a patient reaches a state where his existence is considered a suffering then unaliving them is the only option. Let's face it, (Y/N)'s state and current life is wretched; she doesn't feel the urge for any basic needs, in the hospital they had to forcefully feed her and she more than ones dragged herself to exhaustion since she wouldn't rest or sleep."— she then glances at Olivia. —"This is why I'm scared, I know we still have time to see if anything changes, but... There isn't much hope."—

Both females fell silent to let such assimilation settle in. This situation is scary and heartbreaking, all these struggles to make things go back to normal will end up with the death of one of the most affected people envolved in that mess? Did their attempts to save (Y/N) were always a lost case?...

What is awaiting for them in the future?

What is going to happen to them?... What is going to happen to him if (Y/N) is gone?

These question started to swarm Michael's mind nonstop. Yes, the man of corse heard everything and he's not even sure how he's holding himself back from destroying the whole room. So many emotions are swarming him at ones, so many mixed negative feelings are threatening to push him to a mental breakdown again, just like in his youth.