Chapter 39: Leaving

Clare's POV: (Photo is Mitch)

"Where has Josh been? I haven't seen him since a week ago."I said worried of where my only brother might be. Josh was my only family that I knew was alive for sure. Mom and Dad had been gone for years and Tris whimpered as she remembered being so alone at Cold Creek.

Mitch looked into my eyes wistfully, "I don't know, Clare. But we'll find him, baby, he wouldn't leave you again. Don't worry, okay?" He said before tucking a strand of my dark hair behind my ear. I nodded before burying my head into his chest. Then, Mitch wrapped his arms around my waist, making me feel safe and warm.

"I'll send a search for him. The boys will find him if he isn't past the borders." Mitch whispered softly into my hair. I felt his heart in his chest as I matched my breathing to his. For some reason, I've always done that. I pushed away from Mitch and began walking towards the pack house. I heard Mitch's wolf whimper when I pulled away but I needed to talk to Remi. I wasn't going to sit around and wait for the betas to find my brother, I was going to find him myself. Mitch went off to talk to the betas while I searched for Remi. I couldn't find her around the house so I figured she was in her room. I knocked impatiently on her wooden door while yelling, "Remi? I need to talk to you. Are you in there?" but instead of waiting for someone answering, I opened the door to find Will on top of Remi, half dressed and gasping for air.

"A little early for that, don't you think?" I giggled. Will's face turned red and Remi smiled.

"We'll continue later, baby." Remi smiled and winked at Will.

"Out, William. Remi and I need to talk about our periods." I said so that Will would get out faster and stay out.

"Alright, alright, I'm going. Just don't start talking until I'm out, please!" Will said while putting his shirt on then he ran to the door and slammed it shut.

"What's up, chica?" Remi said while redoing her bun on her head while had mostly fallen out.

"My brother has been gone for a week and I need to go find him. Will you help me?" I asked.

Remi finished her bun and smiled up at me, "Of course, I'll help you! What do I need to do?" Remi said while standing up, "Do you need a distraction, an excuse, or a plan?"

"All three. You could be my distraction to Mitch and I need a plan to get outta here."

"Do you have any idea where your brother is?"

"Well I know he's outside of our borders and the next closest pack is Great Bear Lake Pack, so I'll be heading there. Hopefully they're friendly."

"I heard they're the third most powerful in Canada. The alpha is Joseph Vendetta. Be careful around him, he snaps rogues necks when he finds them." Remi said as she grabbed a piece of paper and a pencil.

"Great. I'll make sure not to run into him."

"Okay, what time are you leaving?"

"Tonight when everyone's asleep."

"I'll try not to freak out Mitch when he wakes up and finds his mate missing. Just make sure you're outside of the border before the sun rises, okay?"

"Trust me, I'll make it."

***12 hours later (2am)***

Clare's POV:

Before Mitch and I went to bed, I packed a backpack with food, water, my iPhone and anything else I would need to survive for a few weeks. I woke up at 2 am and quietly gathered my things after getting dressed into high waisted shorts and a tank top with my Chuck Taylor's. I took a few steps toward the door to leave when I turned around and risked kissing Mitch on the forehead. As soon as I left the pack house, I bolted into the woods towards Great Bear Lake Pack's borderlines. It would take at least 2 days to get there if I didn't stop often and I didn't plan on stopping once. I was going to find my brother even if it took getting killed or hurt in the process.

I was thankful for the ability to run at wolf speed without shifting. I ran as fast as I could without breaking both of my ankles. Eventually, I stopped when I came across a creek, I used my hands as a cup and scooped up the water before drinking it. The water was obviously dirty but I was just so tired. Once I got a few drinks, I ran until I saw our border. Slowly, I stepped over it and inhaled and then exhaled, before I grabbed the cellphone from my bag. It was 6:03am and Mitch should be awake. I felt my heart break a little when I heard the phone ringing. Mitch picked up and I could hear him breathing hard. He was panicking.

"I'm okay, baby. I just need to find him for myself. I'll be back as soon as possible, okay? I love you, okay? Don't search for me, I'll be okay. Talk to Remi, she'll tell you." I said quickly and then hung up. I fumbled for the power button and powered down the phone and closed my eyes tightly.

I let a tear fall before I wiped it away and walked towards Great Bear Lake Pack borders.

//Important Author's Note://

Haii guys, I hope you're having a wonderful summer! Tomorrow, I'm going to a Fall Out Boy and Wiz Khalifa concert. On Friday I have a dress rehearsal, on Saturday I have a dance recital and then I'm leaving for vacation! I'll be gone until June 27th/28th. I'll try my best to update before I leave but it'll be difficult! Have a great week and thanks so much for the reads and support! You've all impacted my life greatly. - Lindsey