Chapter 40: Reunited

Clare's POV: 

Of course I didn't want to leave, but I felt useless and weak just sitting in the pack house and waiting for Mitch and his Betas to find Josh. Josh had protected me for over 5 years and the least I could do is try to find him myself. Although I felt horrible for leaving Mitch behind, a Luna can't be afraid to get involved with the dirty work. 

As soon as I neared Great Bear Lake borders, I smelled a male wolf, most likely guarding the border. 

"Great", Tris thought, "We already have to deal with a pack member, they're most likely heavily fortified." 

I nodded and transformed into stealth mode as I crouched down, making sure to step lightly and cautiously. The entire forest was heavy with trees and brush, so I had good coverage. As I pulled my hood up, to keep the branches out of my hair I heard a think branch snap to my left and my eyes automatically shifted towards the sudden sound. I lowly growled, keeping my head high to show I wasn't backing down and I stepped forward. 

"Luna, I will not hurt you." A deep, scratchy voice emerged from the trees before I saw a man step out from them. "I'm Matthew, your father's Beta." His hands were up in surrender and his head was bowed down, showing acceptance and respect. 

"How do I know you're not lying?" I growled out, letting the Beta cower in fear. 

"I promise. You would be able to tell since you have Alpha abilities. Now, please, let me show you to your father, he's been waiting to see you for the past 14 years." Matthew said truthfully as he waved his hand for me to follow him. Willingly, I do follow him, and I wasn't expecting what was beyond the trees only 100 feet away. 

*** 

Mitch's POV: (Before Clare called Mitch and after) 

As soon as I woke up, I could tell she was gone and my wolf immediately mind linked the pack. There was no point in looking, I knew where she was going and I knew she was far gone by now. 

"Damn it! Every time we get close to our little mate, she runs away again." Zeus says, obviously sad that Clare was gone again. I ordered the pack to be ready by 6:10am and it was already 6:03am. Suddenly, my phone started vibrating and I exhaled when I saw it was Clare who was calling, my finger tapped the answer option and put the phone against my ear. 

All I could do was take little panicky breaths before she spoke, "I'm okay, baby. I just need to find him for myself. I'll be back as soon as possible, okay? I love you, okay? Don't search for me, I'll be okay. Talk to Remi, she'll tell you." and then the call ended and I tried to call back eight times before I finally accepted that she turned off the phone. Then, I quickly walked to Remi's room before pounding on the door, Remi opened it and her eyes filled with sadness as she gave me a much needed hug. 

"She'll be okay, Mitchy. You just got to let her do this on her own." Remi said while she rubbed my back. I pulled away before replying, "I can't let her go find her brother alone. She'll need me, I need her. What if someone finds her, what if-" Remi puts her palm over my mouth then she drops her hand to her side as she says, "No what if's. Clare's a Luna, she's a white wolf, she's got this in her paw. Okay?" 

"Okay, fine. But if she calls you, you'd better let me know so I can talk to her." I warn her before she nods and I walk down stairs to find my pack gathered around the living and dining room. 

"It was a drill." Is all I say before heading back to my room and burying my face in my pillow. 

***

Clare's POV: (Continued) 

"I promise. You would be able to tell since you have Alpha abilities. Now, please, let me show you to your father, he's been waiting to see you for the past 14 years." Matthew said truthfully as he waved his hand for me to follow him. Willingly, I do follow him, and I wasn't expecting what was beyond the trees only 100 feet away.