Chapter 22

Emily's POV

I turned to Austin who was stood behind me.

"Will you turn around please?" I asked quietly, feeling the blush rise to my cheeks.

"Oh, uh, yeah." He scratched his neck before turning around to focus on a poster of a diagram of the womb on the plain wall.

I pulled my cardigan off, throwing it on the chair.

I then kicked my shoes off, pulling my leggings off and then lifting my vest over my head with my underwear, also dumping them on the chair.

The room was chilly so I hurried to pull on the flimsy, blue gown.

It was then that I was faced with another dilemma.

"Austin?"

"Yeah?" He asked, turning his neck to glance back at the mention of his name.

"Will you tie this for me, please?"

Austin swallowed and nodded, stepping closer to me and turning my back to him.

I felt his fingers brush against the skin of my back, and I suddenly remembered how it felt when he touched me for the first time those few months ago.

I pulled away from him when I heard a knock on the door.

"Is it okay to come in?" Dr. Thames asked through the door.

"Yeah." I called back, lifting myself onto the hard bed, awkwardly placing my legs up.

Austin came and stood by my head, much to my pleasure.

"This will feel slightly uncomfortable, but it will be over in no time." He assured me, snapping on some latex gloves.

He lifted the gown up higher and I felt the coolness of air down below.

I heard the sound of metal tools being moved on a tray, and I clamped my eyes shut as I felt him touch me.

I grabbed a fistful of Austin's hoodie, making him jump slightly.

Austin pried my hand away, but held it in his own, giving it a reassuring squeeze.

"There, all done." I heard the Doctor say, and he pulled my gown back down.

I sat up.

"Don't move just yet, Emily. Can I perform an ultrasound, please? So we can give you an estimated conception and due date?"

"Yep." I nodded, quite excited about this part.

"Just pop your underwear back on then." He smiled.

Austin grabbed them for me, and I blushed.

Of course, this wasn't the first time he'd seen my panties.

Before I could take them from him, he bent down and pulled my feet through the holes, pulling them up my legs as far as he could.

It took over after this, not wanting him to see too much of me.

"Lay down please." Dr. Thames directed, rolling over a large ultrasound machine.

I laid back down and he lifted the gown up over my tummy, tucking some more paper into the waistband over my panties.

I looked up at Austin who was stood at my side again, and his eyes were staring intently at the small bump between my hips.

"I'm going to put some gel on your tummy now, and it's going to be very cold." He warned me, and he was right, it was freezing.

I watched as he switched the machine on, and grabbed the wand.

"Ready?" Austin and I both nodded, and I felt him reach for my hand.

He touched the wand to my stomach, and the machine flickered to life, showing white and grey lines.

He moved it around for a few seconds, before focusing on one spot and pressing another button.

The room was instantly filled with the sound of a rythmatic thumping.

Thump, thump, thump.

He turned the monitor to us, my jaw dropped and I felt Austin take a deep breath.

"That's your baby." he smiled widely.

I couldn't take my eyes off the screen.