Chapter 49

Emily's POV

"Hey, it's not my fault the employees don't know how to have fun!" Alex yelled back.

"You were bowling with watermelons and knocking over soda bottles, you jackass. Soda sprayed everywhere! I wouldn't be too happy either if you made a mess of my store!" Taylor screamed.

"AAAAHHHHH!" Austin yelled (into the microphone, may I add), causing me to jump. "Can you two just shut the hell up for five god damn seconds?! Or go scream at each other elsewhere? I'm trying to rehearse here!"

Yep, and there's the burst. I sighed. This is going to be disastrous.

Alex and Taylor stared at him in shock. "Jeez, who shit in your Cheerios this morning?"

"Don't pull that shit with me, Taylor. I'm so not in the mood for your sarcastic comments. I've got a busting headache, and I'm trying to get ready for this very important show in two days, but I can't even finish a bloody verse of any song without you two interrupting me with your screaming! This is the sixth rehearsal you've done this!" Austin yelled in frustration.

"You have another rehearsal tomor-" Taylor started, but Austin cut her off. He was just getting started, and was already on a roll.

"No! I need to practice today too! Do you want to get your ass up here and sing for the president? Because you can be my freaking guest!" Austin snapped. "Do you have any idea how much pressure I'm under right now? Any damn clue? I can't even think straight, let alone sing, when all I hear is 'Alex this, Alex that! Whack-a-doodle this, whack-a-doodle that!'"

"Well, sorry, but-"

"No, you're not sorry! If you were, you would quit doing it, or at least try and be civil with each other, but you don't even try. For god's sakes, it's like you enjoy making each other miserable, and I'm sick of it! I'm sure Emily is too!"

"Don't drag me into this." I told him.

"Why not? It's true, and you know it!" He exclaimed. He turned back to Taylor and Alex, who were speechless from shock. "How can two people possibly hate each other this much? Seriously, knock it off!" Austin jumped down from the stage and stormed out of the room, slamming the door in the process.

We were all quiet for a few seconds before I turned to Austin's band apologetically. "I'm sorry guys. He barely slept last night and hasn't been feeling good."

They waved their hands, and the drummer, Chris, spoke. "Don't worry about it. He can take a break for a bit. He needs it, we get it." They all left to the other room to relax. They were all such understanding guys, seriously.

I whipped around to face Taylor and Alex. "Was that really necessary?"

"Hey, it's not my fault Alex is an idiot." Taylor said.

"No, I meant, was it really necessary to storm in here yelling at each other when you knew he was rehearsing?" I sighed. "Austin never yells like that, you two went too far this time and pushed him over the edge. Obviously."

"He could have at least been gentler about it." Alex muttered, twisting his foot from side to side, staring at it.

"No, he's right. And I agree with him."

"What?" They shouted.

I held up my hand. "Just hear me out. Your fighting has been getting worse, and it's starting to affect me and Austin, him especially. You two are two of his best friends, so how do you think he feels when you're constantly at each other's throats? This is his biggest show yet." I threw my hands up. "He's performing for the damn president! He needs our support right now, and he feels like you two couldn't care less. Think about that." And with that, I walked out to find my boyfriend.

I found him standing at the back of the studio with his head leaning against the wall and his face in his arms.

I slowly walked up behind him and slid my arms around his torso to hug him, leaning my forehead against his back. "You okay?"

He sighed into his arms. "I'm sorry, Ems. I didn't mean to freak out like that, or yell at you. I'm just so mad at them right now. They finally made me snap." His voice was hoarse, like he had been crying. It was probably out of anger.

"I get it. And it's okay, really."

He shook his head and turned around to face me. Sure enough, his eyes were glittering with unshed tears. He wouldn't look at me. "No, it's not. I feel like one of those rock stars that throw temper tantrums all the time now. I feel like such an ass," he wiped his eyes. "God, I'm so mad, I'm about to cry."

"Hey, look at me," I said, putting a hand on his cheek so he'd look at me. "Austin, they could be doing something to try to cut down how much arguing they do, but they choose not too. I don't blame you for snapping at them. Honestly, I would have done the same thing." I told him.

He gave a small smile. "I'd pay to see you yell at them like I just did."

I giggled. "Oh, trust me. It'd be worth your money."

Austin walked towards a low wall and sat down on it. "I'm just under so much pressure right now, I'm overtired, my head hurts, and Taylor and Alex screaming at each other makes me feel even worse." He looked at me. "You know I'm not usually like this."

"I know." I replied softly. "Besides, I'm actually glad you yelled at them."

"Um, why?"

"Because I think you finally knocked some sense into them." I answered.

"God, I hope so." He said.

"I gave them something to think about too."

"What's that?" He asked.

"Just that they need to get their shit straight because you need our support right now." I kneeled down in front of him and grabbed his hands in mine. He looked up at me through his eyelashes. "I know you may not feel like they care, but trust me when I say they do, Austin. They really do. If they didn't, they wouldn't be here. We're behind you every step of the way. Ever since you played the drums and guitar at your mom's house when you were little."

He smiled his first real smile since the incident.

"There's a smile!" I grinned.

"Thanks, Emily. You're the best." He smiled.

"I try." I giggled, crossing my eyes and sticking out my tongue like he did at breakfast that one time.

He shook his head, chuckling.

"Feel a bit better?" I asked.

He nodded. "Much."

"Good."