Chapter 37

Emily's POV

"I just love cutting my hand open with a knife." I told myself sarcastically as I wrapped my hand in a towel to stop the bleeding. "Stupid sharp objects. Things like this are supposed to happen to Austin, not me!"

I had been in the process of making myself a chicken caesar salad and while I was cutting the chicken, the knife slipped and cut my hand.

I picked up my cell with my good hand and speed dialed Taylor before setting it to speaker so I could put pressure on the cut.

She picked up on the third ring. "Sup?"

"I kind of have a problem." I told her.

"What'd you do?"

"I sliced my hand with a knife." I deadpanned.

She was silent for a second before she spoke. "Now why the hell would you do that?"

"It was an accident, obviously. It's all Austin's fault!" I exclaimed.

"How? He's not even home, Emily." Taylor said with an exasperated sigh.

"He had to go and get me mad at him, so I was thinking about our fight and wasn't paying attention while I was cutting chicken!"

As you can see, Austin and I aren't talking because we had a fight. My hormones kicked in and it got ugly after awhile. Stupid hormones. Austin and I still weren't talking to each other, although it was more on my part. He had tried to make an effort of reconciliation by calling me and leaving me a bunch of texts, but I ignored them. He had finally stopped yesterday.

"Oh for god's sake, Emily." She sighed. "That's the worst excuse I've ever heard."

I rolled my eyes. "Can you just come get me and bring me to the hospital? Although I'd rather not be near that place, I don't really have a choice."

"I could stitch it up for you. I worked at the hospital as a nurse's assistant and-"

"No. Freaking. Way!" I interrupted.

"Geez, fine. You're lucky I'm at the mall. I'll be there in five." She hung up, me doing the same.

Still holding the towel on my hand, which was now getting soaked with my blood, curse it, I slipped on my flats and waited for Taylor, grabbing another towel for backup.

A few minutes later, she pulled up and I went out to the vehicle. She got out and opened the door for me so I could get in without having to use my hands.

As we drove, she spoke up. "Here's a little piece of advice: Don't use sharp objects while deep in your thoughts!"

"Yeah, no shit." I muttered.

We got to the hospital a few minutes later and headed inside to the front desk. The lady looked up and seemed surprised to see me. "Weren't you just here not long ago, Ms. Smith?" Doctor Bell asked.

"Um, yeah, but I've got another issue that needs tending to immediately." I replied sheepishly, gesturing to my hand.

"She'll probably bleed out in about ten minutes with the size that she is." Taylor explained, earning her a kick in the shin. "Ow!"

"Room 16, I'll send a doctor in right away." The lady said quickly.

"Thank you." Taylor and I went to the room and I sat on the hospital bed. Taylor handed me the other towel. "Thanks."

"No problem."

The doctor walked in, and it was Dr. Taylor again. "Oh, hello Emily!"

"Hey Dr. Taylor. This is my friend, Taylor." Taylor waved.