Chapter 27

Austin's POV

Mom stayed silent for a while before sighing loudly.

"How did this happen, Austin? I didn't even know you had a girlfriend! You told me that you were being safe, heck, I even found condoms in your bedside table!"

"I did use a condom, I think it broke."

"Why didn't you tell me sooner?"

"I was scared to, mom. I don't know what to do, it's just so complicated." I spoke, my voice cracking.

"Tell me everything, baby." She told me, wrapping her arms tightly around me.

I swallowed the lump in my throat before telling my mom everything.

"You know that party I went to in November? It happened then, Justin bet me twenty dollars that I couldn't get Emily Smith to sleep with me, but she did. We never spoke again after that night, until I approached her at school and then we started talking. Then she told me she was pregnant, and it was mine."

"You slept with that girl for a bet?! She's not even your girlfriend?!" Mom fumed, pulling back.

I nodded.

"You're in serious trouble, Austin."

"I'm being punished enough, mom, believe me." I sighed.

"Keep going." She encouraged.

I took a deep breath before continuing.

"She told me that she doesn't want to keep it."

"She wants an abortion?" Mom gasped.

"No, she wants to give her up for adoption. I don't want her to, mom! I know I can be a good dad, I'd be there constantly! I could take care of my family!" I defended, feeling my chest tighten and eyes fill up.

Mom grabbed me again and held me tightly to her chest, rocking me gently as I gripped onto her jumper, sobbing loudly and letting myself break down.

"I know you'd be a good dad, sweetheart. I know you would, shush." She soothed, brushing my hair out of my face.

I continued to grip onto her for dear life until I eventually calmed down and stopped crying.

"You know what you need to do, don't you?" She murmured, brushing her fingers over my forehead.

I nodded weakly, wiping my face.

"Once you tell her what really happened and how you feel, that's your baby too, Austin."

"Are you angry with me?" I asked quietly.

"Not angry, just disappointed." She breathed, still holding onto me.

Somehow, the word disappointed seemed worse.