Chapter 32

Austin's POV

My heart dropped and my mouth fell open.

I froze on the spot for mere seconds before jumping into action.

I sprinted out of the garage, ignoring the alarmed calls coming from my friends.

I yanked my car door open and jumped right in, ignoring the seatbelt alert and skidding down the street.

I don't care about my safety. My baby and Emily were my main priority right now.

I swerved down the roads, almost hitting other cars and people, before I finally reached Emily's house for the second time today.

I stalled my car and got out, immediately running up her driveway.

The thought of knocking didn't even cross my mind as I opened her front door, making it forcefully slam upon her wall.

"Emily?! Emily!" I yelled, perusing her.

I ran around the lower section of her house, shouting out her name in panic.

I ran up her stairs next, still calling for her and getting no reply.

I caught sight of a door slightly open and mounted it, pushing it open.

My face went pale.

Emily was laid on her bathroom floor, half conscious with a scary amount of blood staining her pajama pants.

"Emily!" I gasped, dropping to my knees.

I took her face in my hands and brushed her hair back.

"It hurts..." She mumbled drowsily, tipping her head back.

"Emily. I need to take you to the hospital." I told her, trying to keep myself calm when I was exploding inside.

"My mom." She murmured.

"I'll call her later, Emily. Come on, we need to go."

I couldn't waste any time.

I scooped her easily into my arms and made my way as quickly as I could out of the house.

I managed to somehow support her dead weight as I got her into the front seat of my car, strapping her in.

I dived into my side, speeding to the hospital.

I stole glances every now and then towards Emily.

Her skin was still pale, with a tinge of green to it.

Her head flopped to the side and her eyes closed.

I reached over with one hand and placed it under her chin.

"No, Emily. You need to stay awake, you need to focus on me, don't close your eyes." I ordered, killing the speed limit and flooring it.

She made a noise of protest but opened her heavy eyes.

After a traumatic ten minute journey to the royal hospital, we finally pulled into the parking lot.

I jumped out of the car and went to help Emily.

She had gotten weaker within the last ten minutes and the patch of blood in her pajamas had gotten larger.

I wrapped one of her arms around my neck and lifted her back into my arms, rushing us into the emergency room.

"Help! I need help! My girlfriend is bleeding and she's pregnant!" I yelled, looking around for a nurse.

The word 'girlfriend' just slipped out of my mouth and I had no time to correct myself, not that I particularly wanted to.

The people who were waiting to be seen by a doctor gasped as they saw Emily in my arms.

"Please! Help!" I begged.

A nurse who was at the reception desk heard me, dropped all her work and sprinted over, yelling for colleagues to assist her.

Everything happened so quickly.

One minute I was holding a lifeless Emily in my arms, the next she was laying on a table in critical condition, her and the baby.

I tried to follow the nurses and doctors as Emily lay on the stretcher, who was getting swiftly wheeled into a private room, fighting to stay awake.

"I'm sorry, you can't be in here." A nurse informed me, pushing me out and shutting the door in my face.

I was stunned as I watched them work through the window.

They removed her bloodied clothes and connected her to various machines.

I couldn't watch anymore.

It hurt too much.

I deafly turned away, walking wherever my feet took me.

I found myself in an empty corridor, that lead to numerous wards that were filled with recovering patients.

I pressed my back against one of the white walls and slid down onto the sterile floor.

I looked down at my t-shirt, seeing that it was covered in crimson blood.

I couldn't stop thinking about what had just happened.

Images of Emily laying on her bathroom floor flashed into my head and I hastily shook them away as I shivered.

I felt my phone vibrate in my hoodie pocket and I pulled it out, answering it with trembling hands.

"Hello?" I asked quietly, fiddling with my sleeves.

"Austin? Where are you? Justin called me at work and said you rushed off in a panic! What's going on? Are you okay?" My mother's panicked voice sounded through the speaker in my phone.

"I'm at the hospital, mom." I replied bluntly, pulling my knees to my chest.

"What? Why? Austin, are you okay?!"

"I'm fine, mom. Emily and the baby aren't though." I spoke, my voice wavering.

"Where are you? I'm leaving work and I'm coming to meet you."

"At the hospital, in the emergency room."

"I'll be there soon." And with that, she hung up.

I looked down at my phone, moving it between my palms.

Why did this have to happen to us?

Why have I lost something that I wanted so badly and loved unconditionally?

Why me?

Was this payback about the bet?

Was this how I was being punished?