Wounds from the Past

Sara POV

"Oomph!"

"Whoopsie," Ronnie calls from above me.

Wincing I glare up at her.

"Liar."

"You should talk," she retorts cooly.

Ray lands on the roof beside us alongside Roy and Rip.

"Well I hate to break up this family reunion however Miss Lance, Mr. Palmer and I must be heading back to my ship," Rip says as he stretches.

Ray ignores him and pushes past Roy to get to Ronnie.

"What did the punk mean about giving you another scar, Ronnie?" He asks quietly.

Ronnie drops her gaze.

"It's nothing," she mutters trying to walk away.

Ray grasps her by the shoulders; forcing her to look at him.

"Ronnie," he murmurs quietly.

She heaves a deep sigh before pulling away; her hands reaching for her mask.

Roy stretches out a hand to stop her.

"You don't have to if you don't want to," he says softly.

"It's fine, Roy," she mutters; reaching up to unclip her mask.

The black piece makes a slight noise as it disconnects from her cheekbones.

She kinda looks like the Winter Soldier.

Dismissing my thoughts I refocus on her and nearly gasp.

Her face is disfigured by scars.

White lines cover her face. A long mark stretches down her left cheekbone right underneath left dark brown eye. Almost as if it were an opaque tear stain. Another scar is torn across her right cheek. The final scar is the most hideous one. It ran jaggedly all the way across the bridge of her nose and down her neck.

Ray steps back in shock; his horror painted across his face. Instantly Ronnie has her mask back in her hand and with a click it's resting once more against her lower jaw. His shock begins to wear off as anger surfaces. He whips around to face Roy full of unbridled fury.

"HOW COULD YOU LET THIS HAPPEN TO HER? HOW COULD YOU LET THAT MONSTER TORTURE HER? YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO PROTECT HER YOU-"

"I WAS PROTECTING HER!" Roy snarls.

Ray lets out a humorless laugh.

"Well then you did an excellent job! Did you decide to intervene before or after Wilson used her face as a cutting board?"

Roy emits a low gutteral sound from the back of his throat and starts forward at Ray but Ronnie pulls him back.

"RAY STOP!" Ronnie cries pulling Roy farther backwards, "RAYMOND PLEASE! It wasn't his fault!"

Ray turns to face her barely containing his rage.

"HE'S SUPPOSED-"

"He was trying to save me when this happened!" She argued back, "He got me out before Wilson could finish!"

Ray turns away snarling under his breath.

Rip and I trade nervous glances.

'We should just wait until they're done then we can continue with our mission', I mentally try to communicate.