Chapter 30: Their New Beginning

He entered Ellika's room without knocking. She stood by the window, her eyes were closed as she leaned her forehead on the glass. She was surprised when Hisoka hugged her from behind. It was not the usual possessive hug he gave her. It was amost urgent, as if he was trying to reassure himself. Ellika smiled softly turning to him. She wrapped her arms around him. They stood in each other's arms, not speaking. Ellika looked up to Hisoka, an affectionate smile on her face. Hisoka saw this, and his eyes widened. He felt warm in his chest when he saw the smile she usually gave her siblings. Maybe this was why her siblings would do anything for Ellika, he thought. The smile made anyone it was directed to feel warmth and contentment; it made them feel like they could do anything; it was something he was not used to feeling but craved it none the less. Ellika was surprised to see Hisoka's eyes soften and a small genuine smile on his lips. It was barely there, but Ellika knew it meant a lot.

"I love you." She whispered burying her face into his chest. Hisoka's eyes widened in surprise. He had never expected Ellika to say such words, much more for them to be directed to him. He felt like he was invincible that moment; that nothing can bring him down. He still did not understand such affection, but he knew Ellika was the closest one he had to what they call love. He did not return the words but tightened his hold on her. He hoped that she understood. Hisoka decided that even after all of his toys break, he will still have his Ellika with him. He will never let Ellika be taken from him.

Ellika sighed when she felt Hisoka's lips on the crown of her head. He did not say it back, Ellika expected as much. But, she felt his arms tighten around her, assuring her that he wouldn't let her go. That night they laid together in silence. Hisoka woke up to an empty bed and saw a note saying Ellika was at the music room. Hisoka entered seeing Ellika on the piano playing softly. He listened to the soft music she produced. He watched in fascination as her hands gracefully played with the keys, he was surprised when she started singing. (Million Lights by Gabriella, Leafless Acoustic Version)

Hisoka felt frozen as he listened to her voice. It was soothing, like a siren's call. She finished singing and turned to smile at him. He gave her a close eyed smile and approached her. He was fascinated with instruments when he was a child. Although no one knew except him.

"My mother thought it was essential for a female Zoldyck to be trained in different disciplines aside from assassination. She thought that females need to be more versatile since our gender is at both in an advantage and disadvantage in our profession. I even trained in classical dances." Ellika said lightly as Hisoka studied her curiously.

Ellika patted the seat beside her, he oblidged and sat down. He watched as she took his hands gently placing them on the keys. She placed her hand on top of his and guided his fingers to play a slow song. Hisoka smiled softly as lifted his hands and wrapped his arms around Ellika who grinned before turning back to the piano keys. She played The Entertainer while smiling at Hisoka teasingly, it was a song usually played in a carnival or circus. He closed his eyes listening to the song. Memories of his past, him being taken in by the circus, learning nen and killing a serial killer; flashed by his mind. He did not notice his grip on Ellika tighten making her gasp and stop playing the song. His fingernails digging through her skin. Her white dress now had a red hue.

"Hisoka" Ellika whispered trying to wake him from his daze. He snapped out of his daze when he heard her voice. He saw that he had unintentionally injured Ellika. His eye widened as he saw her blood on his hands. If this happened a couple of months ago, he wouldn't have felt what he was feeling now: remorse and guilt. He had hurt Ellika.

Ellika felt his internal debate and panic. She placed her hands on his face making him look at her.

"It's okay. You didn't mean to." She said caressing his face. Hisoka hugged her and buried his face in her silver hair. She sighed as he did. She wrapped her arms around him assuring him that she was not going anywhere. Hisoka calmed down and insisted he see her injuries. She just smiled and placed a hand over where the small wounds were, healing the cuts with her nen. Ellika stood up and took Hisoka's hand.

"Let's get ready to head out." She said smiling softly. "I wish to go to Yorknew City."