Imagine 29

You're in your room, being a studious student and actually writing your paper and NOT procrastinating, when suddenly you feel the bed dip beside you as a sweet, warm, cuddly boyfriend of yours crawls next to you and curls up into a ball, laying his head on your lap and looking up at you. You don't pay him much attention as you're trying to finish your paper. That is until he starts grabbing at your hand. You sigh, closing your laptop and putting it aside. You grab your boyfriend's hands which have fallen back into his oversized sweatshirt. You're a little bit suspicious of the silence, he's usually so talkative and bubbly. But then. your heart just sinks when you notice the tears in his eyes. You gasp.

"Awe, sweetheart, what's the matter?" you ask in a soft voice.  His eyes divert from yours as he looks up at your ceiling, not answering the question. You sigh, pulling him up from your lap and give him a hug. You sit cross legged across from him and you scan his face for answers but nothing gives. 

"Babe?" you prod.

"I don't wanna talk about it. Tomorrow I will," he says, in the smallest voice you've ever heard him speak in. Your heart is broken. You take his hand in both of yours and place a small kiss to his fingertips. You can feel his gaze on you, but it's a sad gaze. Crawling behind him, you wrap your arms around his waist from behind and place your chin on his shoulder.

"It's okay, sweetheart," you say. "You don't need to say anything, okay? But just know that no matter what it is, I will always be here for you and you can always talk to me if you need to, alright?". He nods. "And everything always gets better, babe. I promise you. As your girlfriend it should be my responsibility to protect you from everything wrong with the world because trust me, you're too good for all that. You're too pure to have anything bad happen to you, but unfortunately, the world doesn't work like that. But I'm here and I love you more than anything and you're so special so just remember that. It's okay to be sad, babe. It's okay"

He turns to face you and cups your face in his warm hands. The vulnerability in his eyes is something that you've never seen in him before. It's crushing. It twists your heart into little painful knots. You blink away the stinging in your eyes before he notices that you might cry. 

You need to be strong for him. You sit for a few moments, him caressing your cheeks and gazing into your eyes with his beautiful ones. Even when he's crying he's beautiful. So perfect. Ever so softly, he kisses you, and it lingers on your lips and you look up at him. His eyes are still closed. You kiss him once more and the two of you lay down on your bed. He normally holds you when you cuddle, but now you're holding him. His head rests on your chest. You run a hand through his hair continuously, and wrap your other arm around him and trace patterns on his back. Occasionally, you'll kiss his hair. 

Eventually, his breathing slows to a steady pace. Is he sleeping?

"Night, baby boy." you whisper, assuming he's asleep so you don't want to wake him. You continue to caress your boyfriend. After what seems like forever, even though it was probably maybe 20 seconds, he responds.

"I love you forever," he breathes out against you. He's so quiet that if there was any other sound, you would have missed it. But you heard him say it. And he loves you. And you love him so much with all your heart.