Ch. 9- Memories Are a Bitch

"I did not ask for the things that I've been through, and I certainly did not ask my mind to paint and repaint the pictures in flashback form."

**

I closed the book I was reading with force and let out a low growl. "You know, I'm going to say it," I said, looking at the people in front of me. "This is the first time since I learned how to read that books are useless."

Grace eyed me closely while Jasper just smiled at me. "Way to be dramatic sister," he said, flipping through the pages of the book he was reading.

"Is there any other way to be when there's literally no information regarding our lost memories?" I asked with anger in my voice.

I picked up another book from the stack and opened it. Grace, my brother and I were all going through any books that related to what happened to me and Ellie. Sebastian and Oliver were trying to find out how to get our memories back. I honestly don't know where Ellie went, probably as far away from Oliver as she could get. I would do the same thing too if I were her. Jackson and Margot were downstairs with us, although I don't know what they were doing. I'm assuming they didn't want to get in the way.

"We just got to keep looking," Grace said finally without looking up from the pages.

I let out a deep breath. "How long have you been doing this? Being the keeper of the books in the castle?" I asked. I wanted to know because no only did I want to get my mind off what is going on but it seems that I'm the only vampire that has not lived that long.

She looked up from the pages. "Well, my father was the keeper of the books before me. After my mom left, he just shut down. He was never the same again and I've been covering his job since then." she admitted. She paused. "I never wanted any of it, but Ellie and Sebastian are like my siblings and I could never leave them."

I gave her a sad smile. "Thanks for telling me that," I said. I didn't know what else to say. Grace was the only one that I barely knew and I wanted to get to know her. She practically knows everything about me but nothing about her.

I started flipping through the pages again, reading the words on it. "I never got the chance to say thank you," Grace told me abruptly.

I looked up from the book and narrowed my eyes. "For what?" I asked.

"Saving me that night of the masquerade ball," Grace said. "I thought that I was going to die but then you showed up with a knife in your hand and you killed that witch."

"Wait, you did that?" Jasper asked. I noticed that he was listening in to our conversation.

I turned toward my brother who was looking at me with a questionable look. "Yes, I did. And as I remember correctly, I got poisoned after that and then stabbed," I admitted.

"Yeah and I saved her too," Grace said finally.

"I guess we're even now," I said to her. All Grace did was smile at me and returned to her reading. I did the same, opening up a new book from the stack.

Minutes passed and I turned a page. I realized that there was a picture holding the page like a bookmark. I narrowed my eyes as I looked at it. It was a black and white picture with a man and a woman in it. I recognized who was in the picture immediately.

It was Sebastian, but he was wearing a trench coat over his dark suit. It looked like it was from the 1800's. He was smiling as he was looking at the girl and I felt a spike of jealousy.

The other woman was me, but she wasn't. Segovia. She was wearing a dress that seemed to fit her curves and a corset that pushed up her chest. In the picture, she was staring at Sebastian and smiling. Who knew that she would inevitably betray him?